Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as not to take over Alegna's seat install thread, I"m starting this new thread.

I am curious about those of you who have not had a problem installing your Nautilus. We find the LATCH connectors on it so hard to use, for installing and especially for removal. What are your tricks for dealing with the clip they use? We keep coming out with cut fingers and broken nails dealing with them.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I've never had a problem installing it with LATCH. It's got the awful LATCH clips but I've never injured myself
. The tether did break within a month of buying it
:. They are easier to get off if you have a vehicle with an adjustable seatback--if you loosen the LATCH strap and lean the seat all the way back, it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Hmm... I didn't have a problem at all with the nautilus latch. What i did find helpful though was to install the clip with the opening facing up. My seats have a gap under the latch anchor, so if I install with the opening up, I can unclip it with ease.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
Hmm... I didn't have a problem at all with the nautilus latch. What i did find helpful though was to install the clip with the opening facing up. My seats have a gap under the latch anchor, so if I install with the opening up, I can unclip it with ease.
I actually think you cannot do that (as in it's unsafe). But I'd check. I know the fancier latches definitely have a directionality you have to use.

As for tricks with the cheap hooks, I had to deal with them with ds1 when I had an evenflo. Basically I found it easiest to slide the latch hook in on it's side above the anchor in my car. Then flip it and hook. To unlatch, push it all the way back, then push on the part that goes down to open it, and lift up while pulling back.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to read up on how to do the seatbelt install instead. I worry that DH may be putting the connectors in wrong anyway, he's probably following the path of least resistance. I keep having him put them in because I have more trouble than he does to install them.

Thanks for the tips tho on flipping it and/or leaning the seat back (which I am not certain we can do, I don't think so.) It's a 2002 Volvo wagon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
For those using the seatbelt install method, are you using the clip? After installing Britaxes for years, I gave up on the Nautilus (leaving it for the tech). Any tips? I'm using a lap/shoulder belt that needs the locking clip (the seat belt slides along and doesn't lock).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm installing in a 2000 CRV. I've always used the locking clip with our Britax installs, although those are part of the seat. I'm pretty anal about rock solid installs.

I'm confident that I could get the Nautilus in...it would just require buckets of sweat (or the night time rolling of random items down the driveway as its fairly warm here already) and some not so kind words. If I didn't have to use the little locking clip, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Yup, like an aurora said, when you pull out the seatbelt to activate the retractor it's a breeze. If you do end up with an older car and need a locking clip, I have done that with the nautilus and it wasn't worse than any other seat (with the exception of Britax with the built in lockoffs).

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Yikes, yes, please flip your LATCH clips over. That's a no-no because it's just the little flimsy part of the clip holding your seat in, in the even of a crash.

Do you know where it states this in the manual? Because I read it before installing, and it doesn't say this anywhere. Plus, i don't understand, what flimsy part?

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Quote:

Do you know where it states this in the manual? Because I read it before installing, and it doesn't say this anywhere. Plus, i don't understand, what flimsy part?
It shows on page 34 of our manual how to clip the LATCH on, with the "clip" part down, and the flimsy little "tongue" down. If you have it upside down, force applied to the little flimsy "tongue" is just going to bend it and it will give way. The tongue on our top tether broke within a month. They are not made to hold up to a crash, they are just made to keep the clip on the bar so the thicker metal of the top part will hold in a crash.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scbegonias View Post
Thank you! The seatbelt install in my 2000 CRV was a breeze. Mere seconds as an_aurora said! And its working well for 3 across!
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out!!

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Quote:

This is a general rule of lower anchors. All anchors have a right and wrong way, the hook style are designed to be hooked facing down. Britax style anchors say "this way up" and actually have to switched by threading them along the black bar under the fabric of the cover, when you switch from rear to forward. If you turn the anchor side ways along the top of the bar and then twist, like you're turning a key, it should lock on pretty easily. The best way to undo lower anchors is to put weight into the seat, like you are installing it, and then push back on the top of the lower anchors, right where you pull to tighten it, that should loosen the belt up enough that you have play to unhook it without injury

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just installed the Nautilus with LATCH at my MIL's last week. Uninstalling while at the airport being dropped off was HORRIBLE!!!!! I was worried that we weren't going to be able to get it out, but somehow I got it.

At home, I have it installed in my 2000 CR-V with the seatbelt and it's much easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.