1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
I did some research on the topic years ago. Interesting problem. Also tragic. Huge numbers of children were injured by injections. Many thousands in Romania, for example. where penicillin was given via injection.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
It was interesting. I've read that before and it makes sense to me. There are studies that showed that children who, for example, rode their bikes right before the onset of the disease were more likey to suffer paralysis in the legs. It is thought that FDR's severe paralysis was in part due to the strenuous exercise he did the day before the onset of symptoms "...the onset of disease following a day of strenuous exercise and the eventual asymmetric paralysis of Roosevelt's legs and arms is consistent with a study showing that motor neurons innervating muscles vigorously at the start of polio are those most likely to become paralyzed.[33]" I think I read that he had been playing tennis and rowing a boat for several hours the day before. Waiting to resume vaccination until after a polio outbreak seems like a reasonable compromise at the time. Glad we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Polio is a nasty nasty disease and I am glad that the article emphasized the importance of the vaccine in eradicating it and the importance of maintaining herd immunity via vaccination. Parents were absolutely terrified of it. The article points out “The people of Minneapolis were so frightened that there was nobody in the restaurants. There was practically no traffic, the stores were empty. It just was considered a feat of bravado almost to go out and mingle in the public.”

Incredibly grateful for this vaccine <3

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
The tragic failure of polio and the vaccine was the avoidance of understanding how the virus became dangerous.

It was clear quite early on that there was some factor or factors in modern life that was causing the virus to invade the nervous system. For some utterly ridiculous reason, not actually supported then, or now, by the data, it was decided that the dangerous factor was increased sanitation, delaying exposure to the virus. This reasoning played a big role in denying or misunderstanding the role of provocation, including any exposure that damages the digestive system. Arsenic in the water, in some areas of India, is upping the rate of acute flaccid paralysis, for example. But because the real factors were never properly investigated, outbreaks of provoked illness from other enteroviruses will continue to occur. Paralyzed or dead is paralyzed or dead. The parents of the injured and dead children in India are probably not all that enthusiastic about polio vaccination. Their children got a hit, despite being "saved" from polio.

But on this topic I'm undoubtedly wasting my keystrokes!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This is an excellent presentation regarding polio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrb1XwI2_JA
I think this includes the role of tonsillectomies.
No, it isn't.

For example, the worst or perhaps second worst Polio outbreak in US history (when you adjust for population) was in 1916 which predates DDT by several decades. Further, the decline of Polio precedes the decline of DDT.

I'll also point out since this is relevant to the OP that in 1916 we didn't have vaccinations against diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, etc. In New York City alone, there were 27,000 cases of Polio and 6,000 deaths. One of, if not *the* worst outbreak of Polio the US has ever seen.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Not sure where you get your statistics, but I found this that shows much fewer cases and deaths: http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2027479_2027486_2027527,00.html
During the 1916 epidemic, 9,000 cases occurred in New York City, which called for quarantines.

Actually, the statistics you mention were for the whole US which had a population of just over 100 million at the time.
I.e. less than 0.027% of the population contracted polio and less than 0.006% died.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yes, sorry. 9,000 cases of Polio in NYC with nearly 2,500 deaths. 27,000 cases and 6,000 deaths in the entire US.

The peak was 1952 when the US had 58,000 cases and 3,145 deaths.

Again, the 1916 polio outbreak, which is the second worst outbreak in US history, preceded DDT by decades and also preceded the vaccines discussed in the article in the OP.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
It is thought that FDR's severe paralysis was in part due to the strenuous exercise he did the day before the onset of symptoms "...the onset of disease following a day of strenuous exercise and the eventual asymmetric paralysis of Roosevelt's legs and arms is consistent with a study showing that motor neurons innervating muscles vigorously at the start of polio are those most likely to become paralyzed.[33]" I think I read that he had been playing tennis and rowing a boat for several hours the day before. Waiting to resume vaccination until after a polio outbreak seems like a reasonable compromise at the time. Glad we don't have to worry about that anymore.
So your 100% sure he had polio?

Seems others disagree with your assessment. This pushing of FDR and polio doesn't belong here! Unless you want to admit polio is really Guillain-Barre syndrome.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Yes, sorry. 9,000 cases of Polio in NYC with nearly 2,500 deaths. 27,000 cases and 6,000 deaths in the entire US.

The peak was 1952 when the US had 58,000 cases and 3,145 deaths.

Again, the 1916 polio outbreak preceded DDT by decades and also preceded the vaccines discussed in the article in the OP.
There is an interesting background to the 1916 outbreak. However, those of us who are interested in reality have already seen the story...

Anyway, the outbreak is tightly connected to a shipment of sugar from Hawaii which was horrendously contaminated with arsenic based insecticides. Many of the cases were actually linked in clusters to locations like ice-cream parlors and bakeries.

This is one of the reasons that the vaccine enthusiasts have been so successful in hiding the real facts around polio and risk factors.

It isn't just one sort of insecticide or toxin--anything that damages the digestive system--including arsenic--can allow polio into the nervous system.

It isn't just one sort of provocation like injections--it is a variety of activities or exposures that up the risk. A very complex picture and one that is easily obscured.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Regarding the post second world war epidemic, I recall reading that for example a mother mentioned that her children started coming down with polio shortly after eating fruit from a farmer's fruit stall. I guess the fruit had been heavily sprayed and made them susceptible to polio.

Of course, the mother's observation was brushed aside just as the observations of mothers are brushed aside by the 'experts' of today.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
There is an interesting background to the 1916 outbreak. However, those of us who are interested in reality have already seen the story...

Anyway, the outbreak is tightly connected to a shipment of sugar from Hawaii which was horrendously contaminated with arsenic based insecticides. Many of the cases were actually linked in clusters to locations like ice-cream parlors and bakeries.

This is one of the reasons that the vaccine enthusiasts have been so successful in hiding the real facts around polio and risk factors.

It isn't just one sort of insecticide or toxin--anything that damages the digestive system--including arsenic--can allow polio into the nervous system.

It isn't just one sort of provocation like injections--it is a variety of activities or exposures that up the risk. A very complex picture and one that is easily obscured.
Dan Olmstead has been writing on the 1916 polio outbreak. It's quite fascinating as he is including newspaper clippings and maps etc from that time. He also includes comments from someone with an advanced degree in environmental toxicology who is answering his questions. He isn't done, it is a work in progress as he researches more.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Dan Olmstead has been writing on the 1916 polio outbreak. It's quite fascinating as he is including newspaper clippings and maps etc from that time. He also includes comments from someone with an advanced degree in environmental toxicology who is answering his questions. He isn't done, it is a work in progress as he researches more.
The messenger will be attacked.

No one who supports vaccines will be willing to actually consider the evidence.

I can predict the future!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Dr. Gorski responded to the arsenic nonsense a long time ago:

Never mind that lead and arsenic poisoning don’t produce a syndrome like polio. Never mind that polio has probably been known for hundreds of years, possibly as far back as ancient Egypt. At the very least, polio was known back in the 18th century.

In fact, some of the worst epidemics of polio occurred in the 1940s and 1950s, when lead arsenate pesticide use was on the wane. So how do B&O explain that inconvenient observation? Easy. they pivot and switch to a different pesticide. Yes, we’re talking DDT, baby! DDT was introduced in the late 1940s and soon supplanted lead arsenate-containing pesticides. Now (they) pivot seamlessly to DDT, amazing the world at how two such different chemicals can somehow interact with the polio virus in the same way in order to produce paralysis. It’s magic. Amazing how two different chemicals with entirely different mechanisms of action apparently cause the same thing.
There is a lot more there if anyone is interested.

The mental gymnastics that many of those in the non/anti vaccine community use to try and minimize the awfulness of polio and the amazing success of the polio vaccine really is....interesting.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Dr. Gorski responded to the arsenic nonsense a long time ago:

There is a lot more there if anyone is interested.

The mental gymnastics that many of those in the non/anti vaccine community use to try and minimize the awfulness of polio and the amazing success of the polio vaccine really is....interesting.
I think Teacozy must have me blocked, since I've gone over this material multiple times.

What do arsenic and DDT have in common? They both can damage the digestive system, opening the way for the poliovirus to move into the nervous system.

The faith that some people have in Gorski amazes me.

What makes the poliovirus dangerous is that it takes weeks to clear the body. The longer a virus lingers in the digestive system, the better chance that it will cause paralysis due to any of dozens of factors that can move it out and about.

I think, given that there are at least 28 known causes for acute flaccid paralysis, any historical diagnosis of "polio" as evidence that it isn't a modern problem is questionable. Of course people have been paralyzed in the past. People are still being paralyzed by the thousands and even hundreds of thousands despite the widespread use of the vaccine.

If the purpose of the vaccine was to end childhood paralysis, it has been a miserable failure.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
The polio "virus"

In 1908 two scientists working in Austria, Karl Landsteiner and Erwin Popper, reported that they might have found an ‘invisible virus’ that had caused these epidemics [of infantile paralysis]. They had made their discovery, they claimed, after making a suspension in water of minced diseased spinal cord from a nine-year-old victim of infantile paralysis. They had tested this noxious suspension by injecting one or two cups of it directly into the brains of two monkeys. The monkeys fell severely ill (as might have been predicted). One died and the other had its legs paralysed. The scientists then dissected the monkeys and found damage in their central nervous tissues similar to that found in human cases of infantile paralysis.

Today the World Health Organisation (WHO) still credits Landsteiner and Popper as having found the poliovirus with this experiment. Why it does so is inexplicable. The fluid they injected must have contained much human cellular debris, any toxins involved in the child’s illness, and probably several kinds of viruses. So, it was no wonder the monkeys fell so desperately ill. Such a soup could in no way be considered an ‘isolate’ of the tiny organism we now call a virus. It was also strangely non-infectious for a so-called virus, for the monkeys were not paralysed when made to drink it or when one of their limbs was injected with it, nor did they pass it on to other monkeys. The experiment, in fact, shed no light on what had paralysed the monkeys, and for that matter, the children.
https://vaccinesbytheoutliers.wordp...er-and-popper-really-discover-the-poliovirus/

·
Registered
24,733 Posts
This book discusses different experiences with polio and in two stories at least, there are mentions of using DDT. DDT was in everything - parents were encouraged to buy wallpaper that had DDT permeated in the glue. https://www.amazon.com/Polio-Americ...showViewpoints=0&sortBy=recent#R2MUXLGZ30MQ9E

And a History of Poliomelitis by John R Paul from Yale University is an excellent book.

Dr Humphries discusses the 1916 outbreak of polio - there was a lab in that neighborhood also that was suspected of disposing of things wrong.

Who had polio? Many people had polio. It was everywhere. http://www.nndb.com/lists/272/000073053/

And there is a 1946 movie starring Rosalind Russell whose nephew had polio and was helped by Sister Kenney. Her methods were much more successful than the medical model - she advised that children use massage and whirlpools to overcome the paralysis. Alan Alda the actor's mother, used this method; if you ever see him in movies wearing shorts, his legs are symmetrical which is unusual for a former polio victim. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038948/
http://www.nndb.com/lists/272/000073053/

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
@Deborah, you're basing this off of nothing more than the obsessive ramblings of a non-expert reporter with zero professional training in infectious disease, medicine, or epidemiology on an anti-vaccine blog. There is zero evidence to support this hypothesis. It's yet again another example of the correlation fallacy.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
@teacozy and you are basing your arguments on the work of two scientists in 1908 who assumed they discovered the polio virus. There is zero evidence that they did.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
@teacozy and you are basing your arguments on the work of two scientists in 1908 who assumed they discovered the polio virus. There is zero evidence that they did.
I'm sure Dan Olmsted would love to be enlightened since not even he is suggesting the virus doesn't exist.

I do wonder why you would "like" posts talking about the virus and posts about Dan Olmsted's polio series if you don't think there is evidence that the virus even exists? Very curious.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts