Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright mamas, lay it on me!

In the self-care thread, several mamas have mentioned freezer meals as being part of their pre-baby prep lists. I know that having to cook anything in those first few days STINKS. And while a few friends have mentioned a food tree for us, I'm not confident that it will happen. And I'd rather cook as much as possible now! So far my list includes:

Homemade chili

Stuffed peppers

That's it. Help me out please!! What are you stocking your freezer with to keep yourself off your feet postpartum?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
DH is going to be cooking or we'll do takeout for dinner for awhile. But, breakfast is going to be a PITA. I'm going to start whipping up double batches of these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins so that we can just pop them in the toaster oven and have something other than cheerios with milk for a bit!!

On our dinner rotation we do:

Bean tacos

"Meat" tacos

fajitas

Chana Masala

Pasta with red sauce, bread/butter

Pasta with alfredo sauce

Hot dogs

Burgers

Luckily DH can make all these things so Im not stressing about making them ahead of time. Hehe.

Don't forget your slow cookers either!! DH makes an awesome BBQ tofu that cooks for about 4-5 hours and is awesome openface on buns. Just tofu, bbq sauce, chopped peppers and onions (frozen works!), and I think just a bit of water. Set it and forget it!

·
Registered
628 Posts
This isn't a big issue for us, as Hubby does the cooking in our house. Still, I told him he may want to have some things ready before hand, as I imagine we will both be worn out those first few weeks.

I'm thinking chicken cutlets, and maybe some stews. I'll let you all know once he decides what to cook. He's amazing in the kitchen!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm thinking about making some of the following:

burritos--made up an then frozen

lasagne

maybe macaroni and cheese (from scratch)

Chili

I love the sweet potato/kale enchiladas recipe that is from MDC (I don't know how well it will freeze though)

I'd like more ideas too!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
So far I have Chili Mac, red beans and rice, enchiladas and cottage pie (Shepperd's pie).

I plan to make a double batch of spaghetti sauce. I am going to divide and freeze some for spaghetti (all we would have to do it cook the noodles), I am going to use some to make manicotti and then make meatballs and freeze it with the rest for sandwiches.

I want to make a couple soups, just have not decided what I want.

Chili

I may do tuna noodle casserole, just not sure how I feel about frozen tuna! It bugs me for some reason!

I am going to make up a bunch of burritos that we could eat plain or smoother. We all love burritos.

I think we will be fine the first couple weeks, the meals I am making are for when Dh goes back to work and people stop bringing us stuff. I am sure I could manage a couple meals a week, but it will be nice to just grab and heat something some nights too.

I want to come up with some slow cooker meals also. I just did carnitas for the first time last night and it was amazing and so easy! definitely going to put that on the list for after baby.

The thing I love about the freezer meals is that I am freezing them in disposable (recyclable at least :/ ) containers that can go in the oven, so it will really cut down on dishes. We never use paper products, but with baby number three I would love to eliminate some of the dishes. I seemed to spend several weeks always nursing baby around meal time and this will allow DH to spend some more time with the older kids. Might even invest in some paper plate to use some of the time too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We have started stocking the freezer too. My mom will be here for a month and DH has 2 months off so he can definitely cook but we are stocking the freezer for that just in case moment.

We have baked ziti. Just need to add the mozzarella cheese and finish cooking.

Chili verde

Spinach quiche

Cooked tri-tip-- just need to thaw and slice. It goes really well on sandwiches

I'm making meatballs on Sunday to add to the stash.

Sweet potato and bean burritos

Spaghetti sauce for whatever

DH doesn't want to freeze the mac and cheese...said it's easy enough to just whip up

I'm going to make some ICE CREAM to have as a cool tasty treat (homemade ice cream is the best)

I love our crock pot too....makes life so much easier

we like to make -40 clove garlic chicken (may stay away from this one for a bit)

-kalua pulled pork (one of our favorites from Hawaii) goes great with grilled cheese and gravy (sounds horrible, I know but it is oh so good)

-BBQ beef is always good

Plan on making some GF breads and treats to freeze up as well.

I've been cooking instead of nesting....is that bad?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What kind of freezer do you all use? My freezer is over half full with just regular stuff in it. Any tips on fitting all that food in there?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

-kalua pulled pork (one of our favorites from Hawaii) goes great with grilled cheese and gravy (sounds horrible, I know but it is oh so good)
Um, this actually sounds fantastic. Who's got two thumbs and loves anything involving pork, cheese, and gravy? ME!

And Cat, I hadn't even thought about "fitting" things. Sigh. I'm almost glad you brought this up. I was thinking about going to Ikea and just getting some little cheapo shelves to put in our freezer. I think shelves help things fit, so that you're not stacking upon stacking (and then you're out of luck if you want something at the bottom). Over the last few weeks we've actually been eating quite a few things from the freezer just in an attempt to save money with DH's job transition -- using up frozen veggies, frozen meats, etc. So maybe just trying to use the things that are parts to a meal, and then replacing those things with partially/fully prepared meals might be a good plan for maximizing freezer space?

I'm thinking I'll probably add lasagne to the list. And Sarah, I appreciate your suggestion about the disposable/bakable trays. I've used them before for potlucks... Not ideal environmentally, but they usually sell the mid size ones in packs of 2 or 3 I think... It would be perfect for making 3 smaller lasagnes that would be enough for just 1 meal. Rather than the gigantor lasagne that I make normally (which we then eat off of for 3 or 4 days).

Good suggestions ladies, I appreciate the ideas here!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
DS was born in February, so I stocked the freezer all winter ... but I'm having a harder time finding freezer friendly, vegetarian meals, that I want to eat in summer!

I did last time, make a list of everything that went in the freezer, and crossed it off as we ate it -- that way I didnt' have to dig through the containers to see if the last chili was still there ...

I also used the disposable containers - foil w/ cardboard lids. They went in the oven, they were flat, so they stacked well, and I used both family size & single serve sizes, so I had lunch options for me on days that DH was at work & I either didn't have any leftovers or was sick of whatever we'd had for dinner the night before!

My winter options were all vegetarian versions of:

Shepherds Pie

A bunch of cream soups w/o the cream added (I add the cream after they thaw, I don't like the texture if the cream has been frozen)

Baked pastas

Lasagna

Chili

Pot Pies

The only one of those we really eat in the summer is chili, and I use the crock pot for it, so it only takes 5 min to prep ... doesn't seem worth the freezer space to make it ahead of time!

DH is pretty good at dealing with grocery shopping, and DS likes to go with him, so I may just ask them to take charge of the food for a couple weeks, and then hope that between stuff we eat cold & the BBQ, I can get by till mid/late September w/o having to do any major cooking if I don't feel like it!

We eat a lot of salads & sandwiches in the summer, BBQ veg-burgers etc.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
I mentioned freezing meals to my MIL in passing and she started making things for me! I have no idea how much she's made me, and no idea how many meals she has ready, either. Since Marc cooks many of our meals I'm not overly worried about dinners anyway. I'm sure we'll get by with what MIL makes, other family brings, and then Marc can take care of all dinners for a while. He also comes home at lunch time, so I don't really need to worry about that.

Breakfast is a different story, though. I know from experience that if I don't have something easy I will probably end up skipping breakfast, or just eating string cheese or nuts. I can do leftovers if we have them, but I definitely need to make something else to have on hand. I think I'll do Downeast Maine Pumpkin Muffins and Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos (not your usual breakfast food, but healthy and so yummy!), as well as some quiches or fritattas made into muffins.

We have a large upright freezer, so we have plenty of room to store stuff. Slow cooker meals are a great idea for once I'm back into the regular routine again, especially considering the summer heat. Thank you all for that idea!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
We have an 8 week menu plan for dinner that DH can cook anything from, as I've got all the recipes written out on cards and arranged by week. He's almost as good a cook as me so I'm not worried about leaving it up to him (I'll just stay out of the kitchen so I don't have to see the mess he makes), and he already does most of the grocery shopping.

However I am concerned about breakfast, lunch and snacks for those early weeks. I know that being extra tired from lack of sleep and trying to adjust to the demands of 2 children instead of just one I'm not going to want to have to think about what to make for breakfast or lunch. DH takes left overs to work with him for his lunch, but I'm not a big fan of leftovers. I'm already getting tired of having to think about what to eat, and I know it'll only get worse postpartum.

Any breakfast and lunch suggestions would certainly be welcome.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
This is an interesting thread as it seems so smart and I am not doing it.

We have a crappy freezer with no real room so we wouldn't be able to do much. I do not like side-by-side fridges! My mom will be staying with us, so that will be our food supplier. I figure a bit pot of chili will last awhile and then another big thing after that - easy to make, easy to reheat, yummy :)

Unless my kid is like me and then I won't be able to eat tomatoes or orange juice while nursing...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
DDCC because I love food

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I think I'll do Downeast Maine Pumpkin Muffins
YES! Make this recipe! I just made this a couple days ago and I could barely resist eating all 3 loaves. It is so freaking good! I froze two and we ate one (and I even shared).

I've also made:

Beans (for chili)

Several pounds of taco meat (that can be used for chili too)

Chicken casserole

Mostaccioli

5 loaves of wheat bread

Pancakes

2 dozen blueberry muffins

I'm still going to make:

lasagna

chocolate chip coffee cake (I miss sweets having GD)

and any other yummy recipes I find on this thread!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

However I am concerned about breakfast, lunch and snacks for those early weeks.

I double all my muffins lately, or if I make a single batch, we only have them for breakfast & I freeze the rest. By the time baby is here, I'll have a wide assortment of flavours frozen,and they thaw so fast that I won't have to think too far ahead! I tend to have a muffin & a small bowl of frozen yogurt & call it breakfast!

Frozen fruit, OJ concentrate & frozen yogurt all store well & are the base for a pretty good smoothie, which is breakfast in August for sure!

Lunches, summer lunches dont' really freeze well for me, but I have a list on the side of the fridge of things that DS likes, and things that I like, so when I have one of those 'can't think of anything' days, I can find ideas there -- some things from that list:

Tortilla rollups with cream cheese + fruit or veggies

Pita & hummus (keep pitas in the freezer all the time, jar of chickpeas can be turned into hummus quickly!)

English muffin 'pizzas', we just do left over tomato sauce as we always have some -- DH likes pasta!, and whatever cheese is handy. Keep sliced pepperoni in your freezer if you're a meat eater/lover.

Cheese Quesadillas & Guacamole -- I make DS's guac w/o onion.

Bagel melts - layer cream cheese + anything you want, top with shredded cheese ... bake a while, broil for the last 2min. We do mexican w/ refried bean, salsa, slice of onion, slice of green pepper between the cream & shredded cheeses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

We have a crappy freezer with no real room so we wouldn't be able to do much. I do not like side-by-side fridges!
Stock your pantry! My parents actually bought my chest freezer as a 'congrats you're preganant' gift before DS was born, but before that, I was planning to just make absolutely certain we had everything on hand for things we love to eat, all the 'staples', so that the list for DH to grab at the store would be short, or if I had to go out, I would only have to do dairy/produce and not the whole store! Extras of sandwich condiments, pastas, sauces, canned beans, canned fruit, bags of nachos, jars of salsa :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

Breakfast is a different story, though. I know from experience that if I don't have something easy I will probably end up skipping breakfast, or just eating string cheese or nuts. .... Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos (not your usual breakfast food, but healthy and so yummy!),
I love to have all sort of Sweet Potato foods for breakfast, b/c DH & I do not eat breakfast together (he is up way earlier than me most times & eats the same boring breakfast every weekday.) -- he doesn't like sweet potato at all. I'm going to make some of that recipe for my own lunch/breakfasts once he's back to work! Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just did these a couple days ago but It'll probably be gone before baby gets here-

Veggie lasagna

Banana blueberry bread

BBQ pulled pork

Planning on doing-

stuffed shells

Seasoned beef and chicken for tacos/burritos/nachos

Chili

quiche

waffles

a few different muffins

cream cheese chicken

Cubed cooked chicken to throw on salads

corn dog muffins

Enchiladas

tater tot casserole

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

This is a good reminder... Waffles and pancakes both freeze/reheat well. I'll probably do 2 or 3 batches of waffles. I make my pancakes from scratch, and so whenever I make them for DS during the week, I'll freeze the leftovers (which there are always a lot of, because it's a big recipe). Mmmmmm, morning carbs.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

We have an 8 week menu plan for dinner that DH can cook anything from, as I've got all the recipes written out on cards and arranged by week. He's almost as good a cook as me so I'm not worried about leaving it up to him (I'll just stay out of the kitchen so I don't have to see the mess he makes), and he already does most of the grocery shopping.

However I am concerned about breakfast, lunch and snacks for those early weeks. I know that being extra tired from lack of sleep and trying to adjust to the demands of 2 children instead of just one I'm not going to want to have to think about what to make for breakfast or lunch. DH takes left overs to work with him for his lunch, but I'm not a big fan of leftovers. I'm already getting tired of having to think about what to eat, and I know it'll only get worse postpartum.

Quiche! I love quiche for lazy breakfasts! :) Lots of good protein (I do sausage, egg and cheese in mine), quick to reheat, easy to freeze, I'd imagine.

http://megkat.com/2009/10/rosemary-bacon-quiche-with-a-hash-brown-crust.html This kind would do well, too.

Or biscuits with meat and cheese in them.

I have done:

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-italian-bread-59242 and when I roll it out flat, I'll put cheese or cheese and meat or whatever in it. It'd freeze easily and you just cut off a chunk of an easy 'sandwich.'

·
Registered
603 Posts
So far I've just started freezing some leftovers (black beans and rice and potato/chickpea casserole). I need to step up my efforts soon because I'm vegan so it can be hard to find quick takeout in my area. I will definitely do lasagna, red beans and rice, maybe some lentil stew.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.