Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people started talking about this in the silent birth thread and I thought it might be kinda neat to share.

For those who have children already, do you remember what you said once your child was born? The first things out of your (or a partner's) mouth?

For us, DS was born and i held him to my chest. The midwife said "It's a boy!"

I looked at DH and we both quoted "and WHAT a boy! uh, Mr. Simpson, that's the umbilical cord..."

that's right... we were quoting The Simpsons moments after our son was born!

Anyone else?!

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
DS was just a Hello there little one, Ive been waiting for you (yeah cheesy but thats all I could think of)

DD everyone in the delivery room said Oh my! (when we saw how long, dark and thick her hair was) and then I just kept saying Shes so pretty! Shes so pretty! http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7226532_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
When DS1 was born, as I was giving the final push, DH was standing next to me, eyes wide and kind of laughing, and said, "Holy sh!t, that ACTUALLY HAPPENS?!"

He (DS1) didn't cry right away (had taken a big gulp of fluid on his way out and was having some trouble), and I just remember asking "Is he OK?" over and over. (he was.
)

DS2 was born at home, on my bed, and came out SCREAMING. I had planned to, and did, look into his eyes the moment he was born and before anything else, told him I loved him. I don't remember anything else that was said--I love that moment so much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine isn't so romantic...lol. It was a hospital birth and I did get the epidural. Due to that, and other things, I ended up having to push for five hours. Frankly, by the time she was on my chest, I was completely out of it and more concerned when the doctor was going to get the h*ll out of my nether parts. I was REALLY ready to be done. But, anyway, DD came out at 19 1/2 inches and I think I said something along the lines of, "see, I told you her toes were in my stomach!"....lol.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"It's a girl! Lainey's here...you have a sister Emilee!! She looks exactly how I imagined! She's here! She's here!" I think I said She's here a million times

·
Registered
717 Posts
DS was born by c-sec and the doc's were saying "whoa thats a BIG head, what a big boy" etc.
The first thing I said was "is his head just big or does he have like hydrocephalus or something?" laaaame, lol.

One of my favorite stories was at a clients birth, after a really intense labor, the mom ended up birthing on all fours and as soon as the baby came out, before she had even rolled over, she said "Does she have D****'s (DH) nose?" Too funny.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
It was not the first thing I said, but after a few minutes I said, 'I could totally do that again.'
I said this soon afterward too. I think my first words were something like "Phew I'm done!" (I pushed for over 4 hours)

·
Registered
492 Posts
With ds1 I'm pretty sure the first thing I said was "hello my sweet Aidan"
with ds2 it "hello my beautiful baby" (we didn't check gender for a few minutes after the birth, and hadn't fully chosen a boy's name even if we had have known).

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I....don't remember. Actually, I wonder if I said nothing until I gave her to DH.

DH was the first to speak to her. He said something like, "Hey there baby, how are you?" She opened her eyes and turned to him...my goodness I still get teary eyed thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I said, "Hi baby!"

Dh said it was amazing seeing how I instantly went back to being myself after being this quiet, hard-working woman for so many hours.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think I said something like "my baby girl, my little baby girl!" and pulled her to my chest and the midwife was like "uh, let's check...".

We'd had an u/s and knew we were having a girl but I guess they must be wrong often enough that the midwife wanted to make sure!

·
Registered
920 Posts
With my first, he was taken, blue and floppy, to the NICU immediately. My first words were, "Is it a boy? Is he OK?" Not exactly romantic.

With my second, she cried the moment she was born and I'd never heard a newborn baby cry at birth. I said something along the lines of "She's crying! It's beautiful!"

With my third...a long and difficult labour...my first words were "Thank god that's f*cking over!!" Not exactly romantic either. LOL.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
It was not the first thing I said, but after a few minutes I said, 'I could totally do that again.'
I'm pretty certain I said I never wanted to do it again...and I was a huge baby about a teeny little stitch the midwife put in. Like whimpering in pain and scootching away, it was silly. But, now I can't wait to do it again!

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bohemama View Post
I'm pretty certain I said I never wanted to do it again...and I was a huge baby about a teeny little stitch the midwife put in. Like whimpering in pain and scootching away, it was silly. But, now I can't wait to do it again!
i had 3 with DS and 2 with DD and was so numb down there already I didnt even feel them... and they didnt numb me first... just went right in and said oh you tore a little we are putting # stitches in... we will give you care instructions in a bit. Dont itch them. I was thinking... uh yeah I'm not touching down there for a while LOL. My peri bottle was my best friend for months after the delivery even after I was all healed...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Stitches are horrible aweful things. It took them 2 hours to stitch me up after DS1...two episiotomies turned 4th degree...and I swear I felt every stitch. At one point the OB accidentally stuck the pin in the, ahem, love button that WAS NOT frozen and I jumped onto the ceiling.

My midwives froze me better with #2 and I only needed a couple stitches.

I'm hoping that I won't need any with this baby. That's the plan, anyway.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
Stitches are horrible aweful things. It took them 2 hours to stitch me up after DS1...two episiotomies turned 4th degree...and I swear I felt every stitch. At one point the OB accidentally stuck the pin in the, ahem, love button that WAS NOT frozen and I jumped onto the ceiling.
Oh man I want to jump to the ceiling just reading this!!! Yikes!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think I said "Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God!" about 20 times in a row!!
My whole labor was just so fast and overwhelming at under 4 hours, I just couldn't believe he was there!

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Why isn't she crying" and then I told my bff and labor coach to "Go with her" yk that whole 4ft away where they were giving her oxygen. 30 seconds later she screamed, and my bff told me "She's got your mouth"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.