Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: 2/18 - please read update! thx!

I was diagnosed with ITP last week (super low platelet counts) and they put me on steroids. I checked to make sure they were okay for breastfeeding and they are, but my supply has TANKED. The past 24 hrs have been hell. I have a baby who was born full term at 4 1/2 lbs and so he's already on the tiny side - I really cannot afford for him to be hungry to figure this out. My oncologist told me today that I have to stay on the steroids for some time to get my counts up.

I've been trying mother's milk tea and all my other tricks that always work to boost me back up, but it's like I'm deflated... I'm getting out drips in between pumping like crazy and trying to feed him. His diapers are getting less and less wet. Like I said, I can't afford for him to go hungry, but the thought of stopping breastfeeding so early (I planned to go til 2+) is literally breaking my heart, too.

I also am opposed to soy, dairy, and non organic formula (really I'm opposed to all formula, but I don't know what else to do). Do they make goats milk formula? What would you suggest?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Get an organic formula and feed him formula at the breast with an SNS or Lactaid. I didn't want to use formula either, but it's designed to be a substitute for breastmilk so there is no reason to not use it if it's needed.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Why stop breastfeeding? Just because you can't make everything your babe needs doesn't mean you can't give him what you can plus a top up of formula, or donor milk if you can swing it.
Get a Medela SNS or better yet a Lact-Aid (www.lact-aid.com) and do all your supplementing at the breast.
I was sad to have to give my LO formula (although wish I'd done more to find donor milk) but thanks to the Lact-Aid, I was able to give him 2/3 BM through infancy, avoid bottles entirely and he's still nursing at 18 months.
Any LC will say job one is to feed the baby. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing.

·
Registered
761 Posts
OK--I am NOT an oncologist, but I did have a son with ITP. Have you asked about alternative therapies? With my son, we did nothing, and it just went away in a few weeks. It was scary to see all the bruises, and he had to wear a funny helmet, because he was a toddler at the time, and always falling down. Obviously, I am not suggesting you put your health at risk,and if you need the steroids, you need them. But can you explain to the doc that you are having an unwanted side effect, and see what your options are?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I'd say get on the phone and order a Lact-Aid immediately, with overnight delivery. Pick up an organic dairy formula and keep your fingers crossed that he tolerates it. Earth's Best is one of only 2 organic available so far as I know. I have not found a goat's milk based one. And I'd definitely go with dairy over soy.

Whatever you do, keep your little guy on the breast, even if you don't think you're making a whole lot. ANYTHING is better than letting your milk dry up completely - I made that mistake and regret it SOOOO much! There is a learning curve for using the LA, but it's not difficult once you get the hang of it.

Once you've done that, start looking around, asking everyone you know to pass the word for donor milk. We've been on donor milk for almost 4 months now, and I've gotten most of it through recommendations from friends/acquaintances.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was having some supply issues with feeding my now 2 month old twins. They weren't gaining, latch issues causing a decrease in my milk supply. At one time I was down to only making 20oz of milk/day.

I found that taking the More Milk Plus tincture helped a lot more that the MM tea. I am also now exclusively pumping because we can't seem to get over the thrush. We keep passing it back and forth. I have some donor milk but I also am using Baby's Only Organic Lactose free (non-soy) formula. One twin cannot tolerate regular formula (she vomits violently out her nose and her poops turn neon green).

I was giving them canned goat milk (reconstituted) when they were only a couple weeks old and they tolerated that just fine. I also was making them raw cow milk formula with a recipe from Nourishing Traditions. They had thrush bad at the time and their saliva was curdling the 2oz of milk that was left in the bottles (they were only drinking 2oz at a time).

After starting to take the tincture. I was pumping 10oz of more milk/day and am up to 40oz now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all the tips!

I bought the more milk plus capsules yesterday and have been downing them.

Since I've posted, DS is just not having anything to do with bottles/formula yet seems to be doing okay with what little I am producing. He's getting milk, it just seems like not enough.

Maybe something just changes with him and I around this time? (6 mo). My breasts have always felt at least somewhat "full" when it was time for him to eat (and he's always eaten every 2 hours, even at night until last week, tho he's back to waking every 2 at night again) but now they feel deflated. However, he is getting something out. He's having wet diapers (and a big poop yesterday) but maybe not quite AS wet.

I'm thinking maybe he's just spacing out his feedings more (he has reflux, oh and he's been spitting up some, so I know milk is getting in, so that's why I am used to him snacking all the time), but it's freaking me out of course b/c in my head I know the more he sucks/eats the more I'll produce, but it just doesn't seem like it...like if I let him go 3-4 hours maybe I'll "fill up"???

Did anyone else experience a change like this at around 6 mo?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Donor milk. Have you tried milkshare?

I am in a similar predicament. I am looking for an organic source of goat milk based formula and can't seem to find anything.

I have paid $20 to register for milkshare after reading that there were hundreds of donors looking for recipients, but once online I have seen only onesie/twosie here & there and none in my state. I am wondering if there is a better donor milk site.

In my experience, stretching out the feedings does not produce more in the long run. I think it actually reduces the total amount of milk.

I did have a change at six months - my period came back, my milk supply started decreasing. Now at nine months I find out my pump motor was going and stopped altogether. I am now renting a hospital pump, but hoped to find donor milk to help us out for 2-3 months.

Cheryllynn

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone! I think things are actually getting better. I don't feel empty all the time and I'm able to pump more. DS seems to be more satisfied, esp at night, unlike at the beginning of the week.

I am doing mother's milk tea, more milk plus capsules, made "lactation cookies", am eating a TON of food (lots of protein and carbs), and found this interesting list : http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-diet.aspx

Trying to relax as well. I haven't felt the need to attempt to give him a bottle or formula since Tuesday so that is a good sign. I do have a friend with extra breast milk if worse comes to worse. Hopefully I can get off the steroids soon and things will go back to normal. The LC said it's definitely the steroids making my breast tissue feel soft/empty and that as long as there is still milk, I'm doing okay, just keep up with trying to boost supply, offer him some solids since he's now 6 mo, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.