Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, since we're coming out of our bubble, I've been reflecting on all the parents I see out and about.
And I'm getting really really sad. I feel emotional when I go out to places where other parents are out with other babies and see what they are doing.

I don't think I'm a fabulous parent by any means, and am actually really hard on myself. This is the only board I go to peruse besides the LLL when I have specific things I want to look up. So sometimes, I feel like some of the CIO, bottle props etc must be myths..until I go out into the world.

I see such sad sad things being done to children i.e. bottle propping, ignoring them crying hysterically, or yelling at them angrily when they are crying (all ages newborn baby to teens) calling their young babies bad (for not sleeping thru the night), same person laughing about putting earplugs in while their 1 yr old cried it out, yelling at a young child who went in their pants while they are being toilet trained....all sorts of things..

I don't know how to handle it. When I see things, all I can do is clutch my baby closer to me, tell him I love him, give him lots of kisses, but my heart hurts...

How do you deal? What can we do??? Whether its strangers or family?? My husband tells me think globally act locally i.e. with our own baby..
Just wanted to vent that in a safe place...(I just made the mistake of looking on a mainstream board which prompted this post)

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I don't spend time on other boards either, and sometimes I feel like CIO, spanking, bottle propping is some myth that doesn't exist...and then I go out and see it. I forget how common it is and am utterly shocked when I see it, and then I have to remind myself that I am the minority. It makes me sad, too.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
You sound like you have a very gentle spirit. And I agree, it is so hard to see precious little ones being treated that way. I always try that much harder to be a gentle voice, to hold my babies and kiss them, to nurse them, to work co-sleeping and nursing into the conversation as if it's the norm and not the other way around. It's hard, but I try to light a candle in the darkness, and trust that I'm planting a small seed. Who knows? Maybe I'll plant the seed, and someone like you will water it, and the next thing you know we'll have another AP convert on our hands?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
yes it's sad, I don't think there is a lot I can do for other people except model our behaviour. I used to knmow a few mothers who weren't the kindest of people when it came to their kiddos, but I stopped really associating with them becasue it was way too hard to think of their poor babies all the time.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
You sound like you have a very gentle spirit. And I agree, it is so hard to see precious little ones being treated that way. I always try that much harder to be a gentle voice, to hold my babies and kiss them, to nurse them, to work co-sleeping and nursing into the conversation as if it's the norm and not the other way around. It's hard, but I try to light a candle in the darkness, and trust that I'm planting a small seed. Who knows? Maybe I'll plant the seed, and someone like you will water it, and the next thing you know we'll have another AP convert on our hands?
Excellent post, mama! And I agree, the best we can do is model for others. I can totally see it in my SIL, who is about as mainstream as they come, and an excellent mother. Our youngest babes are two months apart, and I can totally see where she is starting to do little things, like using a sling once in awhile, and she bought some organic fruit the other day, and I about fell over!!!
I try not to preach, BUT, it is hard when you are so passionate about something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.