Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I also posted this over in TAO.

I don't know what to do. Daughter is 21 years old. She's an English major. She's in her fourth attempt to pass basic math. She's been seeing a tutor and thought she was doing okay this time. She's taking an on-line math class with the community college. She just took the first test this evening and failed.

She's in tears. I'm near tears, because I completely sympathize, I had the same experience with math. I never finished college. It had a profound effect on me.

What is she supposed to do? One of the counselors said maybe she could be diagnosed with a math learning disability so she'd be allowed to use notes with tests and have extra time to finish tests. But she already had that with this online test, she has her notes and had more than enough time to finish the test.

Where does a 21 year old get tested for a learning disability?? Is that the next step? Does this mean she can't be an English teacher?

I'm at a loss. This kills me.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I am sorry.

Just spitballing ideas here:

-start with the school. Would an official LD (such as dyscalcula?) get her out of the math requirement?
-can she switch schools to one that does not require math?
-can she do an another online or in-school course? Some course are easier than others. Shake up where you take the math. Will the school accept others schools math classes? (transfer credit)
-call a LD association near you to figure out where an adult can go for diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel really sorry for your daughter... Practice makes a man perfect! Don't loose heart, she will definitely make it. Encourage her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts