Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, all my hopes of becoming a hyena have been nipped in the bud.
We've just had a little bit of a financial shock. And before I even really got started too! It's so sad! I had some almost brand new fireflies lined up too, but couldn't afford them. By the way, if anybody needs large fireflies, I can put you in touch with that Mama--she doesn't have enough time in to post to the TP yet!

Anyway, I'm still going to be here listening to you all and sharing stories, but it looks like it's going to be prefolds and prowraps for us from now on in! What I've got is what we're stuck with! Although I might try knitting my own soakers, since I do have lots of yarn, so it won't cost anything. Anybody have any links to good free patterns for soaker knitting?

Also, I picked up a knitting pattern book from the 80s at Value Village the other day for $3.00. It has a wonderful pattern in it for knitted overalls--dungarees, for those who still use that word! They weren't labelled as a soaker, but they would make an awesome one though. I might have to try it out. If anyone wants the pattern (I think copyright has probably run out on it!), I can scan it and e-mail it along.

OH, I just get so sad thinking about what might have been....... I've have made an awesome
!

Alison

·
Registered
548 Posts
Definitely start knitting! That's what I do to satisfy my hyena urges. I love my small stash but I am definitely practical and resist buying most of what I'd love to get. Instead I dye and knit my own soakers. Very satisfying!
Check out the Fern and Faerie free pattern. It's one of my very favorites!
Have you joined the Yahoo soakers group? Go sign up. There's a whole list of links to different patterns and a wonderful group of ladies to talk to about knitting your own soakers. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wool_soaker_group/

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazfglori
Being a
isn't about how much money you spend on your dipes...it's about truly loving your dipes.
You don't have to have the latest "in" dipe to be a member of the club.

ITA! Hang in there. I go through some financial hard times every month and it is no fun.

I would start knitting if I were you

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you can scrape together the money I highly reccomend the Fern and Faerie pattern or the LTK pattern, they are really great patterns and wonderful fits! The F & F pattern is the one that Morwenna uses for MM soakers and we all know how well they fit/work, and the F&F pattern gives you a total customization of fit/size in step by steps!
~

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to try the freebie Fern and Faerie pattern first I think, even though they say it's an older version, it looks good to me.

Engineer_mama, I know your website, and love it! I have visited often, and your pictures convinced me to try prefolds in the first place!

Don't feel too much sympathy for my financial situation. It's only bad because I got to take a whole year off to be with DS after he was born! Now that I am back at work, it should improve soon--we just hadn't realised how bad it had got, that's all. So now we need to be careful for a while! However, that said, I did get to spend a whole year with DS, with part of my salary (gotta love Canadian maternity leave benefits, they rule) at least, so it could have been much worse!

Just wait. I'm going to knit awesome soakers, and one day I'll get to be famous for soaker knitting!
You all heard it here first!

Alison

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.