Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor's husband took their 4 yo to visit his mother in Florida for 2 weeks. Evidently, he decided to stay there. He got a job and has enrolled the soon to be 5 yo in kindergarten. She wants him to bring the boy back and doesn't want to move, but I'm not sure how adamantly she has stated this to him. She strongly suspects that she does not want to stay married to him. He thinks she will move down with the 2 yo after he finds a place to live in a few months. He is extremely controlling. Right now he and the boy are staying with his mother. The boy wants to go home to his own mother (in PA) and has been gone about a month.

Any advice? Obviously, my neighbor has to decide what she really wants to happen. She doesn't think the boy being separated from her will effect her getting custody if it is less than 6 months. The husband also has a criminal record of some kind which she also thinks will keep him from having many custodial rights. Of course, the boy is being somewhat traumatized by this separation. How long is considered an age appropriate visit if this were a custody visit? She thinks that the police will retrieve her son if she just makes a phone call. She seems to be hoping/praying that this situation will resolve itself. Please sends some prayers her way

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
she needs to get in front of a judge asap.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers
she needs to get in front of a judge asap.
: My father picked us up for a 1 month visitation one summer, and never returned. It was 3 yrs before my natural mother found us, and then only with the help of the FBI.
:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My inclination would be to go to FL to "visit" or to "help find a place" or whatever and then hightail it back to PA with the kids.

Like I said, this is just my gut reaction. It would probably be best to talk to a lawyer first so that she can have all of her ducks in a row when she makes her move.

Best of luck to her.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i work at the 911 center here in lincoln, ne .. we dispatch the police and fire depts here. the police dept here would not even consider going to get the child as he's with his biological father ... makes it a civil matter, not a criminal one. i would talk to a lawyer and the courts asap!!!

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
My bf's daughter was taken by her mother, jurisdiction was up here still because he started proceedings right away, but the mom ended up with custody. Your friend should not think that this will just resolve on its own. She needs to call an attorney.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, those are pretty much the things that I've been thinking. She says her brothers say they will go retrieve the boy at her say so, but she doesn't want things to get ugly. I think she is in that bad place where she doesn't know what normal is anymore, KWIM?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
My ex had my teen for 3 days and filed for divorce and he still has her. She should carefully get the child back in her home. Does anyone know if non-parents can get in trouble for rounding up children for their moms?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlie_librarian
Have her to call the police immediately. That is abduction and that is so scary to me...
Actually since they are married, and he is the ds's father it's not kidnapping and the police can't do anything without a judge.

She needs to get a lawyer ASAP. Since the boy was taken out of his surroundings I would believe a judge would have the husband give him
back over to his wife. THEN they would have to deal with the divorce
and all that.

God that sucks. Praying for your friend, and keep us updated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts