Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>so this second time around we will be putting the crib in our room rather than having the lo in another room for pretty much as long as the baby will be in a crib,  so I am wondering what is a good option? As much as i like the convertible cribs they seem large and space is limited in our bedroom. Dh is not happy about buying another crib, probably because our ds didn't use his crib much, but it was on another floor and i was uncomfortable with him sleeping upstairs alone so he ended up with us or in the pack n play in our room. His crib is also defective and dropside so I will not be using it anymore (again dh isn't happy about this)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>. as we did spend a nice amount on the crib, about 250$, so it wasn't high end, nor a 100$ crib either. But this is more than likely our last baby, so I want something affordable and sturdy enough to last for a couple years at least. Any suggestions? </p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>I've never used a crib, but I've seen some good reviews about ikea cribs. They have always had stationary sides, and you can take one side off once the baby becomes a toddler and use it as a toddler day bed. Ikea cribs start at 69.99 and ikea crib mattresses start at 34.99. </p>

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p>If it were me, I would make the parental decision to screw the drop side on the crib to make it stationary, and use it. </p>

·
Registered
148 Posts
<p>Our Ikea crib has held up extremely well.  I believe it was $110.  Its now a toddler bed (it comes with a conversion kit--just some extra screws and a board to hold the mattress) and 28 pound DS is constantly jumping and climbing on it (rather than sleeping, grrrr!)--the ultimate test.  It is likely that you can reuse the mattress that you already have and for a standard size crib, the Ikea ones are as slim as they come.  </p>

·
Registered
28 Posts
<p>We loved our Ikea Gulliver crib. Be bought a non-Ikea mattress and it fit perfectly. It is sturdy, very breathable (bars on all four sides) and (according to Ikea) non-toxic. You can convert it very easily to a toddler bed.</p>

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I second the making the drop side stationary and using it. That is what we have done and I'm not the slightest bit worried.<br><br>
Jenne

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>i am not saying it is defective because it is dropside, but that there is a drill hole that it drilled too large for the screw and the bed screw does not stay screwed in, i don't know much about carpentry and neither does my husband so i am reluctant to make modifications to the crib. </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts