Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting a little freaked out about the zika virus? I've never bothered too much with bug spray. I just try to avoid buggy areas. But this summer we will be doing some camping and with zika around, I want to make sure I don't get bit. Any recommendations for a really safe and effective bug repellent?

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a little worried. I rarely get bitten, but pregnancy can change whether bugs are attracted to you or not. I've read up on it a little bit and the more "natural" products aren't actually effective against the Zika carrying mosquitoes. You need to use something with DEET or picardin. I was just looking at this Consumer Reports page... http://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/mosquito-repellents-that-best-protect-against-zika/
Thanks for the info. I normally avoid Deet and I've never actually heard of picaridin. I guess I need to do some more research. I'm not going anywhere that is known to have zika. I just don't want to take any chances. I guess I need to figure out which is the bigger danger, the bugs or the repellent. :flushed:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts