Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dd is 3 and has a somewhat erratic sleep schedule, as in, we never know when she's going to take a nap and then not fall asleep until 10 or 11. She loves to read in bed (I love that), but we need to keep the bedroom somewhat dark so her brother (who shares the room) can fall asleep. So, she gets out of bed and reads by the door. Which then makes her brother get out of bed (even though he NEEDS his sleep) and/or keeps her from settling down into bed to when she's really tired.<br><br>
Is there a <i>safe</i> lamp that we can put on or near her bed (and her brother's since he'll want one too) so she can read herself to sleep without burning herself or the burning the house down?<br><br>
We've tried flashlights, but she can't juggle the flashlight and the pages. Ditto for a booklight - the pages get caught in the light, and tend to get ripped.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We use this one with DS from Ikea. I like it a lot: it's rechargeable and once it's charged you unplug it and you can put it anywhere, and it doesn't get hot. The charge lasts most of the night but the light is not too bright to start with (should be bright enough to read by, though, but not so bright it will keep your other DC awake) and gradually gets dimmer during the night as the battery runs down (or you could sneak in and turn it off after your DD falls asleep). It's worked out great for us. HTH.<br><br><a href="http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60064433" target="_blank">http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60064433</a>

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That looks perfect. And they just opened up an Ikea in town, and I'd love an excuse to go (we lived in Sweden for a while, and going to Ikea brings back all sorts of nostalgia for me).

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I got battery operated StickNClick and it has adhesive, so I put it behind the headboard in easy reach of my dd. It still lights up back there, just not likely to get knocked off or look weird<br><br>
I think it would have to be at eye level directly behind your dd to use it for reading. As the battery wears out the light gets a little dimmer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts