Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
How safe is your breastmilk for your newborn if you are given drugs during labor such as pitocin, epidural, morphine, antibiotics, etc...?
Safer than formula.

Safer still to birth at home and not get any of that stuff.

-Angela
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,578 Posts
It is perfectly fine to breastfeed a newborn if you've had interventions in birth. It's not considered "unsafe" and it's better to breastfeed regardless of what drugs you're given in labor, than it is to give formula.

Good for you for the homebirth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
I agree, I'm birthing @ home! I was just curious! It seems like a lot of chemicals to give a newborn through breastmilk!
Those pain meds just cause sleepiness in newborns but are safe for a healthy newborn. Penicilan antibiotics are safe, I guess unless the baby is allergic to penicilan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Safer than formula.

Safer still to birth at home and not get any of that stuff.

-Angela
Although it is perfectly possible to give birth in hospital and still not have any drugs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chick View Post
Although it is perfectly possible to give birth in hospital and still not have any drugs!
In theory, sure. A lot depends on your area.

Very, VERY difficult to do in this town.

For one thing pp pitocin is the standard in most hospitals.

-Angela
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
In theory, sure. A lot depends on your area.

Very, VERY difficult to do in this town.

For one thing pp pitocin is the standard in most hospitals.

-Angela
There's this great word I learnt called "no". Believe me, even in the throes of labour, had I been offered it, I would have still said no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chick View Post
There's this great word I learnt called "no". Believe me, even in the throes of labour, had I been offered it, I would have still said no.
Great! Here they don't ask.

-Angela
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top