Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One piece pacifiers used to be considered the only safe pacifier. I am trying to find more info about pacifier safety and am not having luck. The March of Dimes used to recommend one piece pacifiers on it's website but I can't find it there any more.

I'm not looking for info on how pacifiers are bad for breastfeeding or promote bottle feeding. I know that. I am looking at the safety angle. If you are going to use a pacifier, what is a safe pacifier? Is silicone safer because of the risk of latex allergy?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think that these days most Mamas do prefer the silicone (at least I do) to the latex because of allergies...and also the latex gets wierd and gummy after being used and washed repeatedly. I haven't head anything about safety though...I would just use "name brands" of pacifiers.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I am wondering something about pacifiers too, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Are there any pacifiers that are ADA (American Dental Association) approved? It seems to me that most of them are potentially bad for a baby's teeth, at least when it gets to the point where they are growing them in. I'd be afraid of my baby getting an over-bite or something from them. Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the Avent website they say that their newborn pacifies meet the "safest standards." But they do not say whose standards. Their pacifiers are silicone and they say pacifiers should be replaced every 4 weeks. I'm still looking for more info.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post
On the Avent website they say that their newborn pacifies meet the "safest standards." But they do not say whose standards. Their pacifiers are silicone and they say pacifiers should be replaced every 4 weeks. I'm still looking for more info.
Every 4 weeks? Wow. Seems to me like they just want more money out of you, but there's a slight chance it's because of germs and such. I will probably avoid pacifiers altogether, though.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Every 4 weeks? Wow. Seems to me like they just want more money out of you, but there's a slight chance it's because of germs and such. I will probably avoid pacifiers altogether, though.
My thought exactly! They just want more money. I have pacifiers (only two and they were bought just about the time DD stopped using them) that were DD's. They go though the dishwasher so they get nice and clean. I check them and toss them when they are gummy or torn.

DS actual didn't use a pacifier between about two months and 10. I started giving them to him when he starting biting me! He doesn't use them often... just when he wants to go to sleep and doesn't really want to nurse (which is why he was biting) or when he is with Grandma when he needs to sleep.

FWIW we use MAM

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hey there, just thought I would drop my two cents. I am an LDRP nurse, and we use these nice pacis from Hawaii Medical, called Gumdrops. They are silicone, one piece just like the Soothies except they have a little cutout for the nose. And they make a smaller size for preemies.
We just started using them, and love them. I still (as the boob-happy nurse) try to avoid paci's in BF'ing moms, but the nipples look like they would be a better choice for BF'ing. They are long, stim far back in the mouth rather than the short bulbs that some have.

My only ish is that they have 'natural' or 'vanilla' scent. Artificial scent/flavor always kind of irks me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.