Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this isn't in right place- please feel free to move.

HAve you guys heard of the Safe Start Swim Lessons for small toddlers & infants? I actually saw one of these lessons at my local YMCA today. :shock !!!
THe babe- about 18mos was in absolute panic! She was left alone (instructor by her side though) screaming "momma! help! mamma!" floating on her back while rolling to her front- she screamed so much she inhaled some water- which the instructor said was "good for the lesson".
THis babe was terrified and for 10mins Momma watched frmo the sides- saying and doing nothing. All this for drowning prevention. Now, to be fair- I don't have a pool on property and drowing isn't a concern given that when we are at the Y- my wee ones are never far from my leg and we'r estill int he ankle spashies zone. Would you consider such if you did have a pool? Please someone explain it to me if so- it just looked AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
That sounds awful. J just finished swimming lessons for tots aged 4 months to 3 years. Our instructor stressed that we never had to do anything if baby or parent felt uncomfortable. We never had to do anything like that, period.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
that is sad. my 4 year old is having swim lessons now. there are times that he is very hesitant but he's doing great. at first, he didn't want to jump in the water because it was too cold. the teacher talked him into it. i was cool with that cause he wasn't really *scared*. a few of the other kids have cried (7 and 8 year olds) and that was just horrible to see.

as for drowning prevention at 18 months of age, i question that. i would tend to think that swim lessons give very young kids a false sense of security which is more dangerous than a healthy fear/respect of water.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa
That sounds awful. J just finished swimming lessons for tots aged 4 months to 3 years. Our instructor stressed that we never had to do anything if baby or parent felt uncomfortable. We never had to do anything like that, period.
same here.

i had ds (9 months) floating on his back for about 15 minutes today - he just stuck his fingers in his mouth and fell asleep!
:LOL the whole point of our class is to get the kids comfortable being in the water, not make them do anything frightening.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
My DD (13 months) just started swim "lessons" Tuesday in a "Moms, Pops and Tots" class. We get in the water with them and do what we can. The main thing is to get them used to the water, because no matter what method you use, no toddler is going to be "drown proof".

I actually heard of classes like that just the other day when I told my friend she was starting a swim class. He said, "Oh, is it one of those ones where you can't be there? I heard the parents have to leave because the kids scream and cry so much that the parents shouldn't be watching." Isn't that horrible? I was like, "No way! I would NEVER do that to her!"

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My mom was telling me that the place where my niece takes swimming lessons has a rule that a crying child is not allowed to get out of the water til s/he stops crying. I guess that it is the concept that your fear of something increases if you are removed from it like getting back on a horse after being thrown. I think I'll teach ds to swim myself.

My ds (almost 4) did not like being in a pool when he was little but we recently visited a place with a pool and he loved it so I'm not sure it's important to get young toddlers used to the water. I appreciated that he was cautious of the water.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
My sister actually did something similar to what the OP mentioned. My neice was about a year old maybe younger. My sister was playing with her in the pool with an instructor and my sis was holding the baby really close to her and would kind of bob up and down and slightly get water on the face. She then went under water really quick while still holding her to see her reaction. And then she gradually distanced the baby from her body and released her. Neice went under water a little bit, 2 seconds, and started flailing her arms and legs and kind of swam over to my sis.

Now my sister did this for a number of reasons. First off our parents live on a lake, we are over there a lot in the summer and she wanted her to get familiar with the water and heaven forbid anything happen to see what my neices reaction would be if she were to go under water. Before my sis enrolled in this she knew my neice loved water and was not initially scared to go into a pool. And second, and the instructor was adamant about this, if at any time the baby showed fear or was clingy or uncomfortable the lesson stopped. My sis said they kind of worked there way into letting her go on her own and she would have never just let go of her without her being in the water and knowing the baby felt safe.

This is not for me personally, but I don't see how my sis's experience was bad. I think the situation the OP was talking about is irresponsible at best and unsafe. When a child is afraid of a situation it is not good to let them remain there.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Oh we dunked our dd too when she was comfortable. You say 123, blow in their face which makes them hold their breath and close their eyes. After a while, we did unsupported underwater passes from instructor to parent. Again, you could decline to do anything. None of the babies cried at our swimming lessons.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I agree that I don't feel the under water baby thing is terrible, but this obviously wasn't a controlled environment. If my kid was in the water screaming there is no way I would continue or leave them in there until they stopped crying.
:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starr
I agree that I don't feel the under water baby thing is terrible, but this obviously wasn't a controlled environment. If my kid was in the water screaming there is no way I would continue or leave them in there until they stopped crying.
:
:

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evermom
My ds (almost 4) did not like being in a pool when he was little but we recently visited a place with a pool and he loved it so I'm not sure it's important to get young toddlers used to the water. I appreciated that he was cautious of the water.
I don't think it's *necessary* to get them used to it at all - just something fun to do, especially if you plan on being in the water a lot and would like your young baby or toddler to enjoy it.

·
Banned
123 Posts
We used to have a pool but I didn't feel like my kids were really ready for lessons until they were more like 3 years old. The lady I used was a PE teacher at a special education school that did lessons at her home in the summer. I never saw any screaming crying scenes like you describe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That makes me miserable. I just horrifies me to think about it.

My 2.5 year old and I just finished two weeks of parent and child "swim" lessons, which were basically "learn that water is fun, and that it can make you float" lessons. Most of the other parents looked at me like I was nutty because if my ds said "I don't want to do that," I would ask him why and ask him what I could do to make him comfortable, but I would not force him. We had a great time, and he is (I would say) very, very comfortable in the water now.

We didn't do it because of having a pool, or wanting to "drown proof" him, but more because his daddy and I love swimming, and the water, and want to help him nurture that love in himself. Forcing him to do things he was scared of would not have helped!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts