Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just looking through my tea and then checking online to see which one I can have (not for caffeine, but for which herbs are off limits) and the first search yields info from BabyCenter, whom I personally loathe since they are owned by Johnson&Johnson, and it says here that Ginger is off limits. Ginger! WTH??? Anyway, wondering if anyone has a better source of info on which herbs are safe, this one is not accurate.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_herbal-teas-during-pregnancy_3537.bc

This morning I'm going to go with the organic breakfast black. It won't be an everyday thing, but I have an important task that requires concentration and could use caffeine on this one rare occasion. But I wouldn't mind drinking tea later on that has no caffeine if it is actually healthy and not damaging.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Maybe ginger isn't the same thing as ginger root.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ginger and ginger root are the same thing I think. At least, the root is generally the part that's used. Here's an article from Motherisk:

http://www.motherisk.org/women/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=354

Basically, like most things, safety has not been assessed in pregnancy due to ethical concerns (running studies on pregnant women is understandably difficult). However, there is also no real evidence that in regular doses (especially in teas) that is causes any problems. It's also been shown to be effective in treating nausea. No if only I could stomach the taste! Even the thought of it makes me want to gag :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I hate the taste of ginger, as well. I did get some of those Reed's Ginger Ales with the real ginger in what looks like a beer bottle. I noticed that one of the ingredients is pineapple and that seems to help with the flavor, but usually I will drink it and hold my nose the whole time, just to get it down without tasting it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I would cross reference with Susun Weed and/or Aviva Romm. They both have websites, although I find Susun Weed's website to be kind of vague when it comes to what's safe during pg. Her book, Wise Woman Herbal, is much more specific, iirc. Aviva has some great books, too.

Reactions: Valerie11

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've been drinking rooibos tea, I love it. It's a great black tea replacement, caffeine free, it has a nice vanilla undertone, really good with a splash of cream.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been drinking rooibos tea, I love it. It's a great black tea replacement, caffeine free, it has a nice vanilla undertone, really good with a splash of cream.
Oh yeah, I forgot roiboos. I drank loads before I got pregnant and it is lovely!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't rooibos the one that is for allergies and immune function? That sounds good, though, I will have to look for some fair trade organic at the store.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
David Hoffman & Aviva Romm are definitely great resources. Birds & Bees Teas have Herbal Teas that are safe during pregnancy -- birdsandbeesteas.com -- they are hand-blended, beautiful, and so incredibly nutrient filled...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts