Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor (a neuromuscular dr) wants me to get a CT scan of the lumbar region (I believe) because I've had wierd tingling in my lower legs, feet, and lips. (She's also ordered an MRI of my brain). CT scan appointments take weeks, MRI appts take many months (I've already scheduled the MRI for Aug).

In the last 2 months, I've had no tingling in my legs or feet, and very little in my lips. The nurse at my dr. office said I should go ahead and get the CT scan, then come in to discuss the results and my tingling, and see if the MRI is necessary.

But I've been reading a little bit about CT scans, and I'm not so sure this is a good plan, kwim?

What do you know about the safety of CT scans?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Personally, I would have the MRI done first. There is a significant amount of radiation that you will get from a CT which is why I'd go with the MRI first. That said, your situation sounds like a CT is definitely warranted if the MRI doesn't find anything. I would never get a CT without a strong need for one, and have declined them for things like verifying sinus infections, but your situation sounds like it could be serious so I wouldn't let the radiation scare me. You get radiation when you fly on an airplane, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's where I was leaning, was get the MRI first, then go from there.

I've been going back and forth on how warranted it is, though, since the symptoms are going away. Thanks for your opinion on that- it's good to hear that other people think it's something to investigate thoroughly. I really wish the doctor had told me she was going to refer me for a CT scan, because I could have asked her questions about it. She originally said we'd wait for the CT scan until after the MRI.

I sort of think that the tingling has something to do with how pregnancy, nursing, and elimination diets have messed up my system. Now that I'm not ED'ing, and I'm nursing much less, things are going back to normal.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would get the MRI. I only say that because I have MS and symptoms can come and go. I definitely would avoid the CT scan if possible, can't you just have an MRI of the lumbar region also?
Good luck. I hope things turn out well for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.