Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the safety of echinacea in the third trimester, preferably with a source. Specifically, I am looking at using it to increase chances of a negative GB test.<br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
this is a review and if you go to pub med you can get a copy of this full text -free<br>
there is a more recently published rat study using alcohol extract- looking for a malformation problem and markers were = but they felt it needed to be studied more---<br>
my own comment on GBS is that even though it is considered "normal" flora at this point in time because so many women have it, but on closer look it is triggering a vaginal immune response and I don't think it is healthy flora so echinacea might support the bodies response but what seems to be the strongest natural defense is healthy H2O2 forming lactobacillus and an acid environment (also thanks to lactobacillus strains and a few other types of critters)<br>
take care<br><br>
Can J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Fall;13(3):e262-7. Epub 2006 Nov 3.<br><br>
Safety and efficacy of echinacea (Echinacea angustafolia, e. purpurea and e.<br>
pallida) during pregnancy and lactation.<br><br>
Perri D, Dugoua JJ, Mills E, Koren G.<br><br>
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Toronto,<br>
Canada.<br><br>
BACKGROUND: There is a lack of basic knowledge on the part of both clinicians and<br>
patients as to the indications for use and safety of herbal medicines used in<br>
pregnancy and lactation. This is one article in a series that systematically<br>
reviews the evidence for commonly used herbs during pregnancy and lactation.<br>
OBJECTIVES: To systematically review the literature for evidence on the use,<br>
safety, and pharmacology of echinacea focusing on issues pertaining to pregnancy<br>
and lactation. METHODS: We searched 7 electronic databases and compiled data<br>
according to the grade of evidence found. RESULTS: There is good scientific<br>
evidence from a prospective cohort study that oral consumption of echinacea<br>
during the first trimester does not increase the risk for major malformations.<br>
Low-level evidence based on expert opinion shows that oral consumption of<br>
echinacea in recommended doses is safe for use during pregnancy and lactation.<br>
CONCLUSIONS: Echinacea is non-teratogenic when used during pregnancy. Caution<br>
with using Echinacea during lactation until further high quality human studies<br>
can determine its safety.<br><br><br>
PMID: 17085774 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts