Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep your stitches from sagging, especially when knitting ribbing?

I dread ribbing because no matter what it seems that my first and last stitches on the needle are always so sad looking (I should mention most of my knitting is on DPNs for socks.)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I saw mine was doing that for a bit as well (not sure why it hasn't in awhile). What I found worked was knitting my first round/row of ribbing flat and then connecting it. That way when I was done and needed to weave in that end I could use it to tighten up through there. Kind of like sewing it closed.

If I don't do that method I'll knit my tail into the first three stitches. That seems to help a bit, though I'm not sure why.

It's been awhile since I've had to think about it though. I do my socks toe up these days. The pair I just did for DH was cuff down and I just weaved the end into those first couple stitches to help tighten it up.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you are doing ribbing on socks- first be sure you have your stitches arranged so that the first stitches on the needle are always knit- not purl.

next, try this- when it comes time to leapfrog your empty needle and start a new stitch- place the new needle OVER the needle on the right and then down into the first stitch. It feels kind of tight and "lever- like" You will be able to tighten the stitch in a much more natural way with that needle in that position- it's supported.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.