Mothering Forum banner

SAHM moving out... is there really any assistance avail?

430 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JustVanessa
I've been a SAHM for the last year.

I live in a fairly small town (population of 300,000) and so it's going to take me a little while to find a decent job.

In the meantime, stbx is going to give me some money when I move out. But, I'm afraid of what might happen if I run out or get into financial trouble... I haven't been on my own in so long!

Are there actually any resources to help me find a place to live... or help me out financially?

Everything I have seen so far requires you to have SOME income... some sort of proof of what your income is. Since I haven't found a job yet... I don't have that, of course.

Is there actually anything available? I'm not really even sure how to find out. Sigh... never thought I would be in this boat, I have a college degree and around 10 years experience in my field. There's just not a ton of jobs here (Wichita, KS).

TIA for any advice anyone can give me.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
You could try applying for food stamps, WIC, and section 8 (for housing). You can claim any child support as income. I was making no money when I first started college and I was still approved for medicaid and food stamps.
Not too familar with American social systems but up here if you left and went to a woman's shelter they would help you get onto social assistance. The shelter here is for any woman in distress, you do not have to be being abused to access their support. Is something like that an option?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.