Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, money is ridiculously tight. I've more or less been a SAHM since DS was born in '06. Although I've had a PT job for about a year and a half, I've still felt more or less like a SAHM.

This time around though, there's going to be none of this SAHM'ing business
. I have to come up with something around the 6W PP mark to bring more $$$ into this house because our expenses are about to increase and there's just no other choice.

On the one hand I'm feeling horribly guilty and all around crushed that this baby and I won't have access to each other 24/7 like DS and I had for the first 3 years of his life. OTOH I gotta do what I gotta do. Plus, I've come to realize that it's good for me to break from 24/7 mommy duty (not that you ever really get a break per se, but I'm sure you ladies know what I mean).

So, anyone else have to WOHM pretty much right away? Are you having any conflicts with that? How are you dealing?

· Registered
864 Posts
man, i feel your pain! i've been out of work since i graduated in april, and this is our first... so it's basically just me, hanging out at home by myself. however, money has been pretty tight since my husband got laid off in the summer, and we had to do a major relocation for a new job. so we're thinking i'll really have to find work after the baby comes. it sucks that she wasn't here while i was out of work anyway, and i really feel conflicted about putting her in daycare so young (although it wouldn't be until sept, since that's when the school year starts). i'm tempted to see if we can't just rework our budget again to give me some more time at home with her.

is working full time the only option or are you looking for part time as well?

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I've never been a SAHM, or a Mom for that matter, but I will be going back to work NLT 6weeks after the birth. It's tuff to think about, but I've pretty much known this all along, so I had time to "get used" to the idea.
There is no possible way for me to do my job at home, but maybe you can find something that allows you too. I know there are some Mom's who do telephone type work or billing or something.
Actually, theres and MDC post up top about 2 wahm opportunities. Check those out.
Blessings to you, I know this can't be an easy transition.

· Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post

is working full time the only option or are you looking for part time as well?
I'm looking for at least 30 hours/week. I'd love to find another job as a barista because the tips and base pay make for pretty good money. I like the instant cash of waiting tables but that industry is so up and down. Not to mention the dramas

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
I've never been a SAHM, or a Mom for that matter, but I will be going back to work NLT 6weeks after the birth. It's tuff to think about, but I've pretty much known this all along, so I had time to "get used" to the idea.
There is no possible way for me to do my job at home, but maybe you can find something that allows you too. I know there are some Mom's who do telephone type work or billing or something.
Actually, theres and MDC post up top about 2 wahm opportunities. Check those out.
Blessings to you, I know this can't be an easy transition.
Yeah, I've looked into quite a few WAHM options over the years. Nothing has ever really panned out. I even tried babysitting for a spell. Never, never, NEVER again
. Well, never say never I guess, but rather not if I can help it *twitchity-twitch-twitch-twitch* .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post
If you have a degree in a medical background or experience in a medical field let me know. I currently work at home answering calls for research studies all across the country.

Lisa
Right now I'm working on my pre-reqs for nursing school (planning on becoming a CNM, eventually getting my Master's). So no degree-degree as of yet but I am a CMA (doesn't seem to be worth a whole lot in the field since many out there think the majority of CMA's are morons but whatever
). I'll PM you, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.