Mothering Forum banner

SAHMs, how many years of paid work experience do you have?

• zero years

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • one year

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • two years

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • three years

• four years

• five years

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • six years

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • seven years

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • eight years

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • nine years

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • ten or more years

Votes: 65 35.7%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I was professionally employed with pay for 5 years, technically employeed for 6 (I took a year of leave after having ds). I also worked all the way through college to put myself through.

I voted 5 for the professional years.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I worked at the same company for 16 years before becoming a full time SAHM. Prior to that I had a few other jobs.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I was a hairstylist for 10 years. When I had decided to SAH I had just become a massage therapist and shiatsu practitioner also and was working at becoming a doula..I must say it's been nice to take some time off for the last 2-3 years

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have worked most of my life. But i worked for 2 years professionally prior to becoming a stay at home mom. I worked hard in college and had gone back to school after spending one year searching for work in my field. I had worked in temp agencies to make ends meet during this period. I was not going to let my hard work during my first years of college be in vain. I went back to school. After graduating i got a job that i thought would be a dream job. It turned out not to be so. And my studies that i loved so much did not give me the satisfying career that i thought i would have. So i decided to stay at home with my dc.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I worked for my dad for about a year *rolls eyes* detailing cars and boats before i had my son. Just a side note, not a job i recommend during pregnancy, even if you are 17 and in decent shape, lol. Well, not for my dad at least--he was a tough boss, haha.

I've also been volunteering (they paid me occasionally though) every week at church for over 6 years. I guess that's something else i could put on my resume at least, lol.

So...i voted for 1 year.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I worked from age 16 to 29 (waitress, cafeteria worker, retail, mail carrier, group home aide, then counselor). My career as a special education teacher was the last 6 of those years.

L.

Oh yeah, and I get paid to SAHM. Don't you?

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I voted one year of paid work before I came became a mom. I was only 15 when I had Ds, and I'd worked in child care/office work aide for roughly a year before he was born.

I did work after I had kids though, for a time.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I voted "over 10." I've worked since I was 14. Until I became a SAHM 4 years ago, the only time I didn't work was my first year of law school. I worked professionally for about 7 years. Prior to that I was mainly a waitress/bartender.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I worked various jobs from when I was 16 up until dd was born (I was 24 then). I found out I was pregnant the same week I graduated from college, so I never actually started a "career" though. I voted for 8 years.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I voted 5 for the years I worked full-time after college. I worked off-and-on and every summer from 14-21 though. I guess that would put me at 15 years total.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Wow, I was thinking of my years working in my professional field, which was 11 when I originally answered. If I totaled it all up, I was gainfully employed for almost 25 years before having dd. (Boy does that make me feel old!!) I come from corn country where kids are often hired summers to de-tassel corn. I did that for 3 years, then at 14 I got my first full-time summer/part-time during school job. I also put myself through college working full-time and somehow escaped with only about $10,000 in school loans. I remember thinking at about 23 years old that I'd already been working for over half my life and could use a break. Thank goodness for dh!!! :LOL Wish I'd met him 15 years ago rather than 7 years ago.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Not counting my jobs during HS and college (waitress and fitness instructor)?

Four years practicing law, three years in a national sales position for a commercial printing company....so seven total

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I started working at 14...and stopped working when I was pregnant with Willow.
I consider myself and Jill-of-all-trades...master of none. My last job was Registered Massage Therapist...I'm retired now. Much to the dismay of my family.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.