Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to give salads a bit more variety I'd like some salad dressing recipes to try... or salad varieties besides your standard greens and veggies (Dh has recently taken a liking to a strawberry salad)

Any suggestions? Rough ideas are as good as precise recipes for those who don't measure everything out

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have a new favorite salad. Orange tarragon. Yum. The tarragon goes so well with the diced oranges, so don't leave it out of the main salad.

2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
3 navel oranges
1/4 cup, sliced or slivered almonds
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
-arrange romaine on platter and add
orange slices. Toast almonds and
sprinkle on top of oranges with the
tarragon.
Splash orange juice
2 rounded teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/3 cup olive oil, eye ball it
Salt and pepper
-combine dressing ingredients adding
oil last in a thin slow stream. Stream
dressing over the entire salad.

I have discovered that it's really easy to make salad dressings. All you really need is vinegar, oil, some other flavor and herbs. I like citrus dressings. I get my blender out and add the vinegar (white wine, tarragon, rasberry or whatever) and I usually squeeze in some citrus of some sort (orange, lemon or lime) depending on the flavor of the vinegar. I like to also add some dry mustard and a little honey to all my dressings because I don't like to use a lot of oil so the honey helps to cut the acidity of the vinegar. Then I turn the blender on and add as much oil as I want to use in a slow stream. Adding the oil this way helps it to coagulate the dressing so you don't have oily patches within your salad. I don't think I have ever made a dressing that tastes the same way twice.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
My old standby is mustard, vinegar and olive oil. The mustard helps emulsify the oil and vinegar. Mix the vinegar and mustard together first, then incorporate the oil by whisking it in a little at a time. If you like the dressing sharp you don't need much oil.

I also like sesame oil and lemon juice dressing. You can also use tahini for greater emulsification and more nutritious fat.

You can always dress a salad by putting the oil on first, then salt and pepper (and maybe sesame seeds or nigella) and then the vinegar or citrus juice.

I don't do this, but you can make avocado dressing by pureeing the avocado with lemon, so that the fat is all avocado. (I would rather have avocado pieces, though.)

My toddler likes mayonnaise and ketchup! You could also mix mayonnaise with lemon juice and fresh herbs for a salad dressing. I know that mayonnaise IS a salad dressing, I'm just saying that you could thin it out a bit!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tahini Salad Dressing

Ingredients :

1 tablespoon of tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 medium sized cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated or crushed
1/2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame or peanut oil (optional)
2 tablespoons of water
salt & pepper to taste
Directions:

Put everything in a bottle or container with a lid and shake it vigorously for about 30 seconds or until its all mixed.

Use it liberally, it's delicious and it goes well with everything.
This makes about half a cup - at least enough for a big salad, and any leftover will keep in the fridge, just shake it well before use.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is my FAVORITE salad dressing:

1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tbsp. water

This dressing is for a romaine lettuce salad with mandarin oranges and toasted pecans.

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I've been making my own lately with buttermilk, a dollop of sour cream, a little mayonnaise, and various herbs, or some bleu cheese chunked up.
Once you myo salad dressing, the bottled stuff tastes nasty.

Enjoy your salads!
~Nick

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
mix milk,cream and sour cream, add a bunch of fresh dill,salt,pepepr and there you are.the best cucumber salad dressing ever!

yoghurt,vinegar,onion,sugar,salt,pepper >>>> best dressing for green leafy salads ever!

yoghurt, 1 pack of crumbled feta, 2 cloves of garlic( or more if you can stand!) crushed,salt,pepper.....best tomato salad ever, honestly!

low fat potao salad: boil potatoes, makes layers of sliced potatoes,vegetable broth(1/4 cup each time),vinegar(i like it sour and take 4 tablespoons each layer),1 tablespoon of olive oil, ,diced onions and pepper& fresh chopped parsley....finish with a "wet" layer and let stand refrigerated for at least 2 hours, don't mix before that because the potatoes might break...some also like to put bacon crumbles, I like it betetr without.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.