Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you mix up your own saline solution to use in a neti pot? If so, could you share?

I am new to the whole allergy thing - only recently being diagnosed myself after being woozy in the head for two months and ears that plug and unplug. My younger dd seems to have allergies too. We've been just over 18 months in ever-blooming FL, having moved from MN, and 18 mo seems to be when folks start reacting if they are going to.

ANYway, I also wanted to know if anyone shares like symptoms and if you are able to treat yourself without drugs. My allergist found I am allergic to Johnson grass (a wild grass that is pretty much all around I guess) and a mild allergy to dust.

Currently I am using Nasonex once a day - having gone from 2 sprays twice a day down to just one spray once a day. I have some days that are totally symptom free and others, like today, that I've needed to take a Sudafed. I would rather not take anything, of course. My purchased saline w/aloe spray seems to unplug and help me temporarily, so I was considering buying a Neti pot and using that to save money in the long run.

I'll see my allergist again next month and I'm going to ask him what he thinks of me trying to just be on saline. Again, has anyone had success with that?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I just put a quarter teaspoon of sea salt in the pot and then fill with lukewarm water. It really worked for my hay fever allergies, or when I have a cold. Curiously, since I had DS I don't have them anymore... ?

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I use 1 C warm water, 1/2 t pickling salt, 1/4 t baking soda. I think that may be the recipe they used in the saline irrigation studies. I usually irrigate at least 2x/day. Sometimes that alone is good enough, sometimes I irrigate more & sometimes I still use some Sudafed when it's bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts