Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I don't like it.
Before it seemed to "exclude," if you will, certain MP's - such as OB's - which is why many found it a "haven" of sorts. All the new name does is include them & more "medicalized" folks.
Sorry. I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Babes in arms,

Nasty assumption you are making about "birth professionals".
We are the birth workers in your community.

We are childbirth educators, doulas, lactation consultants, RN, Midwives, a few MD's; we are birth professionals who make our living helping others

·
Registered
258 Posts
Umm, no. I said nothing negative about OB's or any other medicalized birth professionals. I'm not even the one who was upset that they are now welcome into this community. I simply asked if any of them hang out here.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Well, I didn't feel unwelcome before, but feel even more included now, I guess.

I'm kind of medicalized. I mean, I practice allopathic medicine for a living, anyway. I like it here, and like having a MDC as a counterbalance for the more medical way birth and parenting is viewed in my real life community and among my real life colleagues. And I don't think I make anyone uncomfortable around here, do I?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I was gonna say, "DoctorJen is a doctor!" and I feel comfy with her!
:

I don't think it makes us sound "medicalized" or overly welcoming to "medicalized" people at all. Professional does not = medical, imho. And I highly doubt there are any perinates perusing the web saying, "Where can I infilitrate my evil c-section-loving ways?!?!? I know -- I'll go to MDC!!!! Mwhahahahah!"

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Including DoctorJen was one of the specific goals of the namechange.
We also have (had) LDR nurses, lactation consultants, and others here, and the choice of Birth Professionals is intended to be more welcoming of all those who work with women in the birthing year. And, being MDC, we didn't really fear it opening up the forum to episiotomy-happy OBs.

There was a poll about a month ago, and Birth Professionals was the top pick. With the switch in MDC admins, it just took a little while to put in effect.

Now, if only I could get my moderator title corrected, too...

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I only noticed b/c I was confused and couldn't find the old forum. I started to get panicy hehe

I'm not sure how I feel about the change. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I only noticed b/c I was confused and couldn't find the old forum. I started to get panicy hehe

I'm not sure how I feel about the change. *shrug*
Yep, I did the same thing, and feel the same way

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I LOVE IT.

Thank you MDC for recognizing that women do not have to have their doctorates to be considered a professional. I know some doulas do this as a hobby but this is my career. It is one I invest in and keep current at as most professionals do for their careers. I rely on it to supplement my other job in order to pay my rent and feed my children. While I am not implying anything negative about those doulas who do it for just a bit of spending money or even for free, this is an integral part of my life. I believe that if more doulas considered themselves professionals and acted as such, they would more likely be treated recipricly when dealing with whatever medical staff they have encounters with.

And I would hope that ANY "medical" people would be welcome here to learn about other's points of view and ways of life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.