Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job interview tomorrow in San Diego and wanted to check out a few communities to see if it's going to be feasible to live there. The office is near the Costco on Morena, sort of close to Clairemont (at least that's what it looks like on Google maps!).<br><br>
If I get this job, I would like to live within a 20 minute commute. Our rent can be no more than $1750 and we need a yard.<br><br>
I'd like to live in a safe neighborhood... a historic community would be even better, but not required. A condo or duplex <i>might</i> be okay, but we have a b-i-g ol' dog and need a yard.<br><br>
Is this feasible? Any ideas?? I am so worried that we're not going to be able to do this...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not the best person to answer this because we have not moved in 12 years and I am uninformed about rental rates.<br><br>
That being said, I can offer some ideas about areas that fit your other requirements:<br><br>
Pacific Beach (you did not say you were interested in the beach so it may not be worth it to you, but it's very close to that location)<br>
Clairemont (is everything except not historic)<br><br>
Further away I would head south:<br>
North Park<br>
Bay Ho<br>
Mission Hills<br>
Hillcrest<br><br>
You are welcome to PM me with more questions, but like I said I'm not the best resource around.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I'm going to check out all of those places tomorrow.<br><br>
Have you heard of Talmadge? I've seen a few nice-looking homes on Craigslist in Talmadge, but I know nothing about that area.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, I think Talmadge would be great.<br><br>
In the areas surrounding Balboa Park, the family-friendliness of an area can vary block by block, so it really needs a first-hand visit.<br><br>
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did lots of looking today and am more confused than before. Got totally lost and completely turned around. If I get this job, I'll need to take DH down there and make a day of it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think you are right that it's tricky to get around. Especially in the area you are looking in, but also elsewhere in SD, there are many freeway exits and entrances that are hidden, or only go in one direction. It's exasperating until you get the lay of the land.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Three would be ideal but we're willing to try doing two for a year while we get settled.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It might be difficult to find a nice 3-bedroom rental with a yard in Clairemont for $1750. It's been a few years, but when we looked at rentals in Clairemont a few years back we were disappointed in what we could find in our budget--a lot of kind of rundown duplexes on busy streets with small yards. I think the nicer 3-bedroom rentals in Clairemont will be more than $1750.<br><br>
When we started renting houses because we wanted a yard, we quickly ended up in East County because you can rent a decent-sized house with a yard for quite a bit less than other areas of the city.<br><br>
I don't really have a good sense of rental prices and availability for 2 bedrooms since it's been a while since we've rented a 2 bedroom place.<br><br>
I'm not saying it's not possible to find what you're looking for but just warning you it might take some time, persistence, and a lot of driving around and checking out neighborhoods, unless you're willing to give yourself a slightly longer commute, and then I'd suggest College Area, Lemon Grove, or La Mesa.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just keep checking CL, the good deals are gone in a day. Hope you find something that works for you. If you love the beach, you'll love it here. I'm in bay park and I really enjoy it here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts