Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...UtPy7FQ59kR0OQ

Quote:
The mayor of the nation's eighth-largest city abruptly reversed his public opposition to same-sex marriage Wednesday after revealing that his adult daughter is a lesbian.

Mayor Jerry Sanders signed a City Council resolution supporting a legal fight to overturn California's prohibition on same-sex marriage. He had previously said he would veto the resolution.

Sanders, a former police chief and a Republican, told reporters that he could no longer support the position he took during his mayoral campaign two years ago, when he said he favored civil unions but not full marriage rights for same-sex couples.

"Two years ago, I believed that civil unions were a fair alternative," he said at a news conference. "Those beliefs, in my case, have since changed. The concept of a 'separate but equal' institution is not something that I can support."
I have to say - I'm no fan of my Mayor, generally speaking (I sure as heck didn't vote for the man!), but this was refreshing to see. He was crying as he made his statement for the press.

·
Registered
19,133 Posts
It's nice, I guess... but I wish we could get past the point of "I wasn't for equal rights for gays until I noticed it actually affected someone I personally know and like." The straightest straight person in tho world who has never so much as exchanged two words with a queer should be able to see that the system is unfair and be moved to act upon it.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
It's nice, I guess... but I wish we could get past the point of "I wasn't for equal rights for gays until I noticed it actually affected someone I personally know and like." The straightest straight person in tho world who has never so much as exchanged two words with a queer should be able to see that the system is unfair and be moved to act upon it.
What a great fantasy.

Someday, maybe.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

I agree with this as well. When I first saw the story on the news, and saw him tearing up, I missed the part about his daughter being a lesbian. I thought it was refreshing to see such a change of heart. Then I read about where the change was comong from - and, while it's still a good thing, I wish some people didn't need to be hit by an 18 wheeler to notice they were in the middle of the street, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Quote:

well, i will certainly take this over say, a vice-president with a lesbian daughter who STILL opposes gay marriage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.