Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i know deli meat is a no-no becuase of lysteria.. but (and this may be really dumb) veggie deli meats - like yves veg bologna or something would be ok, right?

i am totally craving sandwiches!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you're being really careful, you'll just want to make sure they're not cut on the same machine as the regular deli meats.

Or you could heat the cold cuts to steaming to kill any germies.

Or you can cook your own meats and slice them yourself. They're different, certainly, but darned good!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've been craving deli sandwiches, too!

My stupid question is, if you buy cold cuts and heat to steaming, can you then stick them in the fridge to let them get cold again before you make the sandwich? I mean, for 20 minutes, not back in to store and make sandwiches for days.

I've been meaning to ask my biologist husband this question, but I keep forgetting. Plus, he'll say, "Just don't eat the deli meat."

He doesn't understand that I really NEED a turkey sandwich!

--willo

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha ha - i have been wondering that too willo!

about putting the meat back in the fridge again. because the kind of sandwich i crave is not a steaming meat one.

let me know if you find out!

·
Registered
506 Posts
to all of you who are so good at being good...
i seem to have very little will power when it comes to food.
i've been eating all kinds of deli meats and sandwiches this whole time.
: somehow i convinced myself that it was okay and so far (knocking wood) it has been.

i hope the hot/cold trick works and you get to satisfy those cravings!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I have to admit...last time I followed all the guidelines and dietary "rules". But this time I've been eating what I want, when I want it, and just taking common sense precautions...like I'll eat deli meat if it's fresh sliced, but not if the sandwich/meat has been sitting out on the display shelf or hanging out in the kitchen for a while.

They keep finding more and more vectors for various nasties (like spinach and peanut butter) that I sort of feel like common sense is all I have left!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've also wondered about the heat-then-refrigerate method of dealing with listeria. I'm not a biologist, but I took my fair share of microbiology classes and the like. As far as I can tell, it should work. The heat kills off the listeria (if there were any to begin with) so there shouldn't be any listeria left on the stuff to breed as it cools. But I'd want independent verification on that before recommending it to anyone!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
i did the heat and cool and my doc said it was ok...just ask yours or the mw
My MW would crack up if I asked her this! She thinks all the restrictions on pregnant women are crazy. And she's almost certainly right. But I know that if I did get listeriosis and it hurt my baby I wouldn't be able to live with that, even though I know that I'm probably taking a bigger risk by crossing the street than by eating a deli sandwich. It's not rational, but I reserve the right to be irrational about some things!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I have to admit...last time I followed all the guidelines and dietary "rules". But this time I've been eating what I want, when I want it, and just taking common sense precautions...like I'll eat deli meat if it's fresh sliced, but not if the sandwich/meat has been sitting out on the display shelf or hanging out in the kitchen for a while.

They keep finding more and more vectors for various nasties (like spinach and peanut butter) that I sort of feel like common sense is all I have left!

This is me, too
!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't follow any of those guidelines, just my intuition and some sense. I'm not telling you to go out and binge on deli meats but I think the hype over pregnanyc and food is mostly hype. I eat raw eggs and meat, soft cheese, raw milk.. whatever I want really and just take care to be comfortable with the source. I don't generally eat food that other people have prepared for me, on a hot day (haven't had any yet this year) I would not go out and pick up a premade sandwich sitting in a deli but if it's meat in my fridge? Why not?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Spinach? Peanut butter? What have I missed now?

Peanut butter is about the only calory dense thing I can stomach, and there's no way I'm giving it up

I agree, just use common sense. I can easily avoid raw meat and raw milk, but I don't see a real problem with deli meats. In that case you couldn't eat pre-cut lettuce or anything anymore too. Why don't we all just take a food pill? It's really going over the top a bit imho... Just use your brain and intuition

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimoose View Post
Spinach? Peanut butter? What have I missed now?

Peanut butter is about the only calory dense thing I can stomach, and there's no way I'm giving it up

I agree, just use common sense. I can easily avoid raw meat and raw milk, but I don't see a real problem with deli meats. In that case you couldn't eat pre-cut lettuce or anything anymore too. Why don't we all just take a food pill? It's really going over the top a bit imho... Just use your brain and intuition

Spinach because of the scare last summer. (Not actually any current restrictions.)

Peanut Butter because Peter Pan/some store brand was contaminated and there is a recall on all jars with a certain date code.

Actually, I was told to avoid "packaged" salads, too. Having worked only briefly in food service in college, I never eat from salad bars anymore. Too many food workers have nasty habits. I have eaten bagged salad during this pg, but I always wash it again anyway. I've read enough reports of contamination in those "washed" greens that I think it is just good sense.

And I did finally ask my (biologist) husband about the heat/cool cycle for the deli meats. Of course, first he said, "JUST DON'T EAT THE SANDWICHES!"

After I finished hitting him and yelling about how badly I'm craving one and why doesn't he understand (mostly kidding about the beating), he said, as someone else did here previously, that the heating should kill most of the live bacteria on the meat and cooling one serving thereafter should be fine. Most bacteria double every 20 minutes, so cooling for 20 minutes should leave you with a fairly safe pile of sandwich meat. Heating will not remove any toxins already produced by whatever bacteria had previously inhabited the lunch meat, however, and sometimes those toxins are as bad or worse than the bacteria were. He also said, if I post this for my group, I need to remind everyone that he is a research scientist and not a doctor for people!

I was cavalier about deli meat with my first pg and ate it periodically without thinking about it, but then an acquaintance had a late miscarriage due to listeriosis. As someone else commented, if that happened to me, I wouldn't be able to bear the guilt of having done something I knew could be harmful with such terrible results.

I hardly think it is LIKELY to cause a problem, but I'm now cautious enough to heat the turkey to steaming before indulging in my sandwich.

--willo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.