Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Public Health department says I need one in order to do cloth at daycare- they recomended bleach. I know better. Should I smile and nod and 'agree' that I'll use bleach in the wash at home (
I know, I won't really, I'll just tell them what they want to hear).

Or is there a proven alternative (vinegar comes to mind) that I can suggest and educate them about the harm of bleach and effectiveness of alternatives. I'd like studies and research if at all possible.

What about 'safe bleach' that I've gotten from health food stores (ie Baking Soda and Hydrogen peroxide) would that still damage dipes (pockets)?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
IME, hydrogen peroxide bleach puts major holes in diapers and will ruin fabrics. I would think in a large load you could even use a teeny tiny amount of bleach-but what about sensitive skinned babies? Chlorine can really do harm.

So I woul look into vinegar. I love Bac Out but don't have any solid resources offhand to recomend. Can't think of any right now....

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm really sitting on the fence w/ this one. My first thought was...lil white lie...yes, you use bleach....but...thats lying, something you may not want to do for character sake

but...

if you do tell them no bleach & give them an alternative sanitizer, then you will have to have tons of research and doctors notes etc to prove it...it's like opening a huge can o' worms! remember...the medical field & government does not like alternatives!

imho....say a couple of prayers of forgiveness and tell them bleach with your fingers crossed!

sorry 4 typos...baby in arms

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
You could always add like 1/4 teaspoon of bleach to a large load of diapers so you aren't technically lieing !

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugrMagMama
I'm really sitting on the fence w/ this one. My first thought was...lil white lie...yes, you use bleach....but...thats lying, something you may not want to do for character sake
The problem exactly...'agreeing' to it is obviously easier. I had to fight to get to use cloth as it...how far do I want to push the limit here?? However, if everyone took the easy road, then nothing would change. I'd be accomplishing nothing for those who follow behind me. What if mamas-to-come feel threatened and actually uses bleach!?!

I've got learnin' to do! Obviously you don't need bleach to get a clean dipe. And who exactly are we worying about germs being transfered to anyways??

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Do you have a sanitizing cycle on your washing machine - the one with the really super hot water ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is an alternative... Grapefruit Seed Extract. There is tons of research online about it. I've been told it is often used in hospitals, even. We use it occasionally when our dd has a digestive ailment (i.e. rotavirus). I know others will often use it for yeast.

HTH!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mmmm...no, the hottest setting is a HOT COLD setting (there's an oxymoron for ya! the others are warm cold, cold cold, and warm warm)

I doubt anyone's actually gonna follow up on this, I just want to be prepared in the event that they do! It was the daycare owner that relayed the message of the public health department, and I'm the first they've had to request cloth, so I don't know how on top of me they'll be. And I'd feel bad starting off our DCP/parent relationship with a lie

ETA: I think I'm going to research it more(where do I find resources??) and be honest that bleach is bad for dipes and that vinegar and proper washing are effective disinfectants.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Do you dry in the dryer ? Hot air is a good sanitizer as well. Especially if you make sure to totally dry the diapers, then leave them in for an extra 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
why do they care how you wash them? we had kids in cloth at the daycare center that I used to work at. we put them in a pail and they took them home to wash. we never asked anything about it and we were an accredited center

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be come winter- but even now- sun's a good 'bleach' isn't it??

Here's what I'll do- research vinegar/hot water/sun in comparison to bleach just to have as back up. And say that yes, I will be sanitizing them, but not with bleach and let them know that bleach is bad for cloth (which I'm sure is common knowledge no?) and instead I will be using hot water, vinegar, the sun etc. which I'm sure will be proven to be just as effective.

I'll be sure to post any info I can get on the subject after I know more too.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by memory maker
why do they care how you wash them? we had kids in cloth at the daycare center that I used to work at. we put them in a pail and they took them home to wash. we never asked anything about it and we were an accredited center
I dunno...maybe since I'm the first they feel it needs to be totally by the books?? I really don't think they'll be anal about it, I think they just feel the need to sound smart and like they know what they're talking about. I just want to know my stuff in the event that they are strict about it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One smart Mom has posted about how much bleach you have to use to do government approved sanitizing, and if I remember it is 1/2 tbsp/gallon of water. So if you have a front loader like me I would only have to use 1.5 tbsp (or 1.5 capfuls) of bleach to sanitize my dipes. That is such a tiny amount it should not hurt your dipes, child, or the environment. Bleach is the best sanitizer out there, and if my child was in daycare I would want the best since they can get exposed to so many nasty things (like rotavirus).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts