Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the article on the main page about if you are teaching your child about santa. I really struggle with this. I have a almost 2 1/2 yr old and don't want to have him beliving santa is a real person. I want him to know about Mary, Joseph and that story becuase that is what we belive in. I just don't want to do the whole dressing up as santa and have him bring presents to you. This was how it was for me as a kid. Someone in the family would dress up as Santa and he would bring us presents. I'd like to know about if there is a real St. Nicholas and what he did.<br><br>
I do remember as a kid leaving cookies for santa and carrots for the reindeer and my dad would eat a bit of the cookies and take a peeler and peel some carrot shavings making it seem that santa and the reindeer came by. Then if we had snow he'd take a rake and drag it across the lawn to make it look like santa came by. I'd love to do those sweet things but how do you do that without making santa real?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't know how much help this will be, but here goes. We have a DD who is a bit over 2. She can recognize Santa Claus from the various pictures around town, so she knows what he looks like. For the record, there was a true St. Nick, but I don't know the whole story behind him. A man by the name of Cecil Adams writes books called the Straight Dope, and all he does is answer questions and research behind the answers. Here is the answer that deals with Santa Claus.<br><a href="http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msantaclaus.html" target="_blank">http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msantaclaus.html</a><br><br>
Anyway, what we are doing with DD is explaining, at her level, that we don't see Santa Claus, and those that we do see at the malls and stuff are just his helpers. The true Santa comes at night, while you are sleeping, and you never see him. You just believe in him. Now, we do explain the true meaning of Christmas too, so we have covered both bases. I don't think we will ever go to the extremes of carrot shavings, and hoof prints in the front yard, but I do think that the excitement that Santa brings is not a bad thing.<br><br>
Hope this helped. Don't know yet what we will do when the kiddos get older, but for now, this method seems to be working.<br><br>
Nicole

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am letting my DS (2.5) believe in Santa as he sees fit right now. But if he ever asks me if he's real I'll say Santa is just a nice story that illustrates the giving spirit of Christmas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts