Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of them? They are out in the middle of absolute nowhere in South Carolina, and I had the most incredible visit with them yesterday, for my initial consult for pregnancy care.<br><br>
For my last birth, I was told that I had no choice but to have a cesarean, period. My last OB practice even went so far as to throw me out because I refused a scheduled cesarean (I was wanting a VBAC and my records had been destroyed from the first birth - due to it being beyond Fla's requirement to hold them for 7 yrs)<br><br>
I went in and spoke with the CNM there, Jennifer, and not only did she seem to think there was no problem with it, but she even went so far as to suggest intermittent monitoring and no IV unless there was a problem. She said there would be no problem with me being up and around moving, eating, showering, whatever we needed to do to get the birth that we wanted. AND they have a birth center. They havent used it for VBACs yet so she needed to run it by her OB, but we have our fingers crossed on that.<br><br>
I was just floored by how pro-birth she was and how friendly and straight forward. (compared to the "be a good little girl and do what we say" mentality of the OBs I met with last pregnancy) She had absolutely NO fear of VBACs which is practically unheard of by anyone else that I interviewed or dealt with in SC last time around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have not talked to anyone who has used them that I can recall, but thank you for mentioning it! They even have a birth center!! I had a rotten experience with a traditional OB/GYN in the area with my dd, if we have another baby here I will definitely be looking into a different provider. I'll have to check and see if they participate with my insurance. I have heard good things about the midwives at Palmetto Women's HC.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their birth center is really a larger than normal room (like 2 exam rooms together) with a small bed with lots of pillows, a closet for medical stuff (which is great because you dont see it unless she needs it), a full bathroom w/ a shower/sink/toilet and an aquadoula birth tub (this is really what clinched the deal for me! lol). Its not home, for sure, but its still really nice, and whats nicer is her attitude about birth. I was prepared to go in there and just lie to get through my prenatals and worry about the birth later (thinking I'd be kicked out if I tried to get anything more than a VBAC) and she was the one that suggested the non-interventive stuff. Also, the hospital is right across the street, and she said that while the nurses were pretty mainstream in their expectations, that we could get around it without much difficulty because she would be there with me the whole time (if we didnt end up doing the birth center birth). She even suggested getting a doula if we would like to, and I'm pretty psyched about my upcoming birth now.<br><br>
This is coming from a girl who was intent on UC'ing (UC'd my last) and never letting another white coat lay a hand on me or trusting another medical provider ever (had a very rough pregnancy because of my last OB)<br><br>
This place is about an hour from me and like I said WAAY out in the boonies, but WELL worth the drive. I was amazed at the service... I'm still in shock actually and kicking myself for not finding them last pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I haven't met Jennifer personally but she does oversight for a local LM. All of the families that I know that have dealt with her have nothing but great things to say about her. I think the OB is a little rough around the edges but hopefully you'll never see him! Good luck and many blessings!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hi Jenlaana,<br><br>
I visited there during my last pregnancy and saw the birthing room too. I also thought it seemed like a nice alternative and the people there seem great. I had an appt. with the OB and overall he was alright. I have to give him credit for backing up the HB midwives when most OBs won't do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My DS was the first birth there! Jennifer had just arrived and they were just getting it all set up so we were their "testers". We absolutely loved the care that we received and the birth experience was wonderful!! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm so excited to see other people have discovered the Santee-Cooper Birth Center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts