Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed this was posted in other support forums and thought I might as well bring it here.

Both of their deaths are tragic and my thoughts go out to their families and children (both were mothers to young children).

Sarah Tait was 33 when she died and has said she received the gardasil vaccine. Sadly, the earliest she could have received it would have been at age 23 when there is a very good chance she was already exposed to HPV. For the lurkers, this vaccine cannot protect against an HPV infection a person already has, it has to be given before they are exposed which is why the recommended age is 11 years old when children are going to be very unlikely to be sexually active yet.

Sarah Tait had also received regular pap smears, and even had one just months before she was diagnosed with cancer that had come up clear.

Just like that does not mean pap smears are worthless, the fact that she developed cancer despite being vaccinated does not mean the vaccine is worthless.

Joey Feek had a 2 year old daughter and I have not read anywhere that she had received the gardasil vaccine. She was 40 when she died and thus would not have been in the recommended age bracket to receive the vaccine when it came out 10 years ago, making it very unlikely she did so.

I hope these stories remind people that HPV is a serious virus that cannot completely be prevented from developing into cervical cancer even with regular pap smears, despite what some might suggest.

Additionally, HPV can cause many many different types of cancers that do not have regular screenings like pap smears.

Vaccinating + regular pap smears are your best lines of defense.

Reactions: mamabear0314

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Where do these articles say that their respective cases of cervical cancer were caused by the human papilloma virus?

There are other causes of cervical cancer.

Vaccinating + regular pap smears are your best lines of defense.
This "best line of defense" did not help Sarah Tait. She had a pap smear just last November that was clear.

So we need to keep poking young persons with boosters of Gardasil as per the recommendation of the manufacturer. Same old song. Where have I heard that before?

the fact that she developed cancer despite being vaccinated does not mean the vaccine is worthless.
If this healthy woman died YOUNG of cervical cancer after getting tested regularly and vaccinated against the disease, what does that mean other than the vaccine is a complete waste of $, time and life? Where was the benefit for Sarah? I know Merck benefitted, but not Sarah. She is dead.

Many of the women who have had problems with Gardasil tend to be athletic as was Sarah Tait, an Olympic competitor. Perhaps this would be a good line of study and follow-up. I doubt it. That would be too obvious.

Reactions: SilverMoon010

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Terribly sad. :(

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Yes it is sad. And sadder for their families. No one is disputing that.

Second time I am asking - "What was the benefit for Sarah and her family? "

Answer - no benefit at all.

Interesting - NOTE: The usatoday link does not mention what cancer she died from nor the fact that she received the HPV vaccine to prevent it. Censorship?

Here is another link - https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...list-sarah-tait-33-dies-from-cervical-cancer/

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is sad. And sadder for their families. No one is disputing that.

Second time I am asking - "What was the benefit for Sarah and her family? "

Answer - no benefit at all.

Interesting - NOTE: The usatoday link does not mention what cancer she died from nor the fact that she received the HPV vaccine to prevent it. Censorship?
There wasn't - but there might have been had she been born earlier and received the vaccine at 11. There doesn't appear to have been a benefit to her pap smears, either. Are you going to argue those are worthless and not worth getting?

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Where is the scientific evidence that she would not have had and died from this cancer if she got the vaccine at age 11?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There wasn't - but there might have been had she been born earlier and received the vaccine at 11. There doesn't appear to have been a benefit to her pap smears, either. Are you going to argue those are worthless and not worth getting?
The Australian government seems to think so now that the new screening is being rolled out next year.

The Australian Government has accepted the recommendations of the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) that a primary human papillomavirus (HPV) test should replace the current Pap test for cervical screening.
http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/internet/screening/publishing.nsf/Content/future-changes-cervical

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
PS I'm actually amazed they found the funding for this. We're apparently in a budget emergency over here now that mining has crashed and the country's not rolling in dough any longer. Not to mention that the government is scrapping bulk billing incentives on various pathology tests.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Australian government seems to think so now that the new screening is being rolled out next year.

http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/internet/screening/publishing.nsf/Content/future-changes-cervical
Well, that will cause a lot of agony. Given how common and mostly harmless HPV is, making more women suffer through positive tests that are unrelated to prospective cancer (and through the subsequent testing, biopsies, etc.) would seem unnecessarily cold-hearted, if we weren't talking about the magic of money.

Sarah Tait had a rare variety of cancer...no one was looking for it.

Of course, if the frequency of it increases, due to random moon phases, someone may develop a test that permits families to get their affairs in order.

"Better living through chemistry." An old slogan, but still classic.

Whatever contributed, it is clear that the families and friends of these young women deserve our good thoughts.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is the scientific evidence that she would not have had and died from this cancer if she got the vaccine at age 11?
I said MIGHT not have developed cancer had she been vaccinated. The vaccine is not 100% effective, of course. The newest Gardasil protects against 80-90% of HPV strains that cause cervical cancer, so odds are most people who die of cervical cancer could have been saved by the vaccine.

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
And I asked for the scientific evidence. Where is it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I said MIGHT not have developed cancer had she been vaccinated. The vaccine is not 100% effective, of course. The newest Gardasil protects against 80-90% of HPV strains that cause cervical cancer, so odds are most people who die of cervical cancer could have been saved by the vaccine.
Here is what you said in your original post. :
Sarah Tait was 33 when she died and has said she received the gardasil vaccine. Sadly, the earliest she could have received it would have been at age 23 when there is a very good chance she was already exposed to HPV. For the lurkers, this vaccine cannot protect against an HPV infection a person already has, it has to be given before they are exposed which is why the recommended age is 11 years old when children are going to be very unlikely to be sexually active yet.
Your original words sound more sure than a "might".

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have been looking into these two deaths the past couple days. I can't find any details. Has any specific information been released about what exactly caused the cancers? Or is this just ripe for provax speculation?

I understand the families may want privacy, but without verifiable information, we are speculating, pure and simple.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
This is interesting. The vaccine came out 10 years ago. The highest incidence of cervical cancer is 25-29 year olds. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/hea...er-type/cervical-cancer/incidence#heading-One

So, why hasn't the rate of cervical cancer dropped in this age bracket precipitously?

Yes. I see the studies that say HPV infections have had huge drops. But where is the corresponding drop in cervical cancer?

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
This article shows an upswing in cervical cancer rates in 25-29 year olds starting in 2006. I'd like them to complete the graph, though.

http://www.ncin.org.uk/publications/data_briefings/cervical_incidence_and_screening

This article talks about the problem specifically:

http://www.ncin.org.uk/view?rid=1669

Page 20: "Compared to 20 years ago, the incidence of cervical cancer in 2009 has fallen in all age groups except in those aged 20‐24, 25‐29, and 30‐34. Between 1999 and 2009, incidence rates in women aged 20‐ 24 and 25‐29 have more than doubled. Similarly, the incidence in women aged 30‐34 increased by two thirds and the incidence in women aged 35‐39 by a quarter."

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457699953.197740.jpg

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
This article shows an upswing in cervical cancer rates in 25-29 year olds starting in 2006. I'd like them to complete the graph, though.

http://www.ncin.org.uk/publications/data_briefings/cervical_incidence_and_screening

This article talks about the problem specifically:

http://www.ncin.org.uk/view?rid=1669

Page 20: "Compared to 20 years ago, the incidence of cervical cancer in 2009 has fallen in all age groups except in those aged 20‐24, 25‐29, and 30‐34. Between 1999 and 2009, incidence rates in women aged 20‐ 24 and 25‐29 have more than doubled. Similarly, the incidence in women aged 30‐34 increased by two thirds and the incidence in women aged 35‐39 by a quarter."

View attachment 43650
That is what you would expect to see if the vaccines are provoking cancer in those who were already infected.

But correlation doesn't equal causation.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Thanks for the graph, Xerxella. Wow.

Reactions: Xerxella

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
That is what you would expect to see if the vaccines are provoking cancer in those who were already infected.

Or, possibly, in a cow-pox / smallpox sort of way, getting one type of HPV protects you from a more dangerous type.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21645515.2015.1066948

"no difference was observed in the prevalence of low-risk nonvaccine types between vaccinated and unvaccinated women (38.8% vs 37.5%). However, vaccinated women had a markedly higher prevalence of high-risk nonvaccine types (52.1% vs 40.4, prevalence ratio 1.29, 95% CI 1.06–1.57)."

Attachments

Reactions: EMRguy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Or, possibly, in a cow-pox / smallpox sort of way, getting one type of HPV protects you from a more dangerous type.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21645515.2015.1066948

"no difference was observed in the prevalence of low-risk nonvaccine types between vaccinated and unvaccinated women (38.8% vs 37.5%). However, vaccinated women had a markedly higher prevalence of high-risk nonvaccine types (52.1% vs 40.4, prevalence ratio 1.29, 95% CI 1.06–1.57)."
Oh good lord, I hope not.

There are many known predisposing issues for ovarian cancer, and it will take a huge study to get anything like an answer that permits us to distinguish and rate risks. Women who smoke, use hormonal birth control for years, begin to be sexually active early...you'd have to break out the subsets to get a more accurate picture of what creates these cases.

However, for "all the lurkers", I would say taking up smoking because you're totally sure vaccination "causes" cancer would be a step in the wrong direction.:wink:

See how helpful I am. :grin:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts