Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to clean the mold out from the inside of a rubber duckie?it seems like a shame to just through them away but i also don't want moldy toys.i'm wondering if there is anything safe that i could suck up in there that would get rid of the mold?or should i just get over it and through them out?
thanks for any help in saving the life of a duck :LOL

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I tried the dishwasher, boiling, AND bleach with mine, and it just didn't seem to work. The hole in the bottom of the thing was too small, and the stuff just didn't seem to penetrate. I wound up throwing mine away...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by llyra
I tried the dishwasher, boiling, AND bleach with mine, and it just didn't seem to work. The hole in the bottom of the thing was too small, and the stuff just didn't seem to penetrate. I wound up throwing mine away...

that's what i was afraid of.boo hoo

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'd toss em too. I had one of those Betsy Wetsy dolls as a kid, and she got mold inside, and I had to get rid of her too.. *sniff*

I'd toss it mostly because if babe figures out how to squeeze and get water in there and then squirts moldy water all over, yuck!

The ducks that are bath thermometers (they say HOT on the bottom in blue) are sealed, you can't get mold in there, at least we haven't yet!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think the sunlight might be key. I have had to resort to throwing out all bath toys that collected water. (no squirting toys for longer than it took to get moldy) for this reason. Even the other toys like cups and flat toys that don't hold water get mold growing on them after a while so I have to run them in the dishwasher regularly. My shower curtain gets moldy too really bad so I have to bleach it in thewashing machine. I think all of this is because our bathroom doesn't receive any direct sunlight and it just stays kinda dark. The squirty toys that we keep outside don't grow mold though. Maybe it is because of the direct sunlight that they receive being out.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I bleach the tub about once a month and throw all the toys in, swirl around a few times, and let them stew for an hour or so. Then I do a big rinse, use the shower head on the tub and mat, and then run the bath water to rinse each toy. It's kept the # of toys down, tho, because it's become such a time suck! I just chuck stuff that's old and in the way, broken, missing parts, really super gross, or she doens't play w/any more. And I take the trash out w/me so she can't see them in the basket :LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts