Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd, soon to be 9, had a filling about 10 months ago. To shorten the story, while flossing Dd I noted an abnormal looking area of gum, the dentist confirmed that Dd has an abscess in the tooth, under the filling.<br><br>
She is recommending extraction with placement of a spacer. She says it's not an emergency but we should do it soon. I've gotten one second opinion which agreed with the first dentist, BUT he said he's 'traditional' and I might find other opinions.<br><br>
Anyone think there's a chance of saving this tooth, especially if I'm able to closely monitor and clean daily? The spacer looks like a headache of it's own and not even sure to do what it's supposed to. Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a baby molar pulled around this age and the adult tooth came in perfectly, although I am one of those people with lots of space in their mouths so I don't know if a spacer is necessary.<br><br>
Interestingly (or not) I'm now missing the same tooth as an adult after fighting the good fight (25 years later) with root canals etc till I woke up with a painless golfball sized lump on my jaw, admitted defeat and had the tooth (painlessly...no nerve) yanked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts