Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, preserving mamas, I need some advice. I roasted four lovely, local, organic red bell peppers this morning in my oven. They turned out great and are currently in 2 Ball jars in my fridge, covered with wax paper and a rim (because I need to get actual lids for my jars). I don't have a pressure canner, because I wasn't going to can anything at this point in the season (I've only done tomatoes and blueberry jam in a water bath before). What should I do to keep them? Should I cover them with olive oil? Should I freeze them? Can I keep them in the fridge if they're in oil? How long?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I was just reading that you can freeze them roasted
They sound yummy!!!

I'm not sure about how long they will last in the fridge covered with oil. I'd like to know too - I always get a little paranoid after a bit and then end up tossing them (happens to me with those canned chipotles in adobo which take a long time for me to use....). So, I think I'm going to vow to freeze from now on to avoid waste

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I second the freezing, we have a freezer full of New Mexican green chiles that my dh can't get here at home (he's a NM native).

I would peel them (if you haven't already, very easy to do under the faucet post-roasting) and then pop them in a freezer bag. I don't know how long they will last in oil, but I do know that they only last about a week in the fridge sans-oil. HTH!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I already peeled and quartered them, so I'm just going to stick them in the freezer.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I froze mine. But, you can oil pack them as well. It's a pain, though.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Yeap, freeze them

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalmommy View Post
I second the freezing, we have a freezer full of New Mexican green chiles that my dh can't get here at home (he's a NM native).

I would peel them (if you haven't already, very easy to do under the faucet post-roasting) and then pop them in a freezer bag. I don't know how long they will last in oil, but I do know that they only last about a week in the fridge sans-oil. HTH!
we have a bunch of green in our freezer too! SIL went and picked and roasted this year and brought us back a bunch. yum. try putting some in meatloaf.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post

try putting some in meatloaf.
Great idea!
Dh puts his green chili in practically everything, so I'm going to try this next time I make a meatloaf. I need to start a thread on ideas for green chili

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.