Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a vag us today and got to see the little bean and the heartbeat. Daddy was there, too, so great for us.

Dr. says I'm about 7 or 7 1/2 weeks and estimates due date as July 30. Now that's confusing because I counted 6 weeks (counting my mc on 10/14 as my last period) and that gave me a due date of July 21. He also said I probably ovulated about 4 weeks after my mc, which would have made conception mid November, which would mean I'm about 4 weeks! Think something's off there? I sure do!

Anyway, great to see the little bean alive and kickin', so to speak!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
That is strange, my due date is July 21 and I ovulated October 28th, the day of my LMP was Oct 15th. If you ovulated mid November, around November 10th according to your doc, your EDD would be August 4. I think he got the July 21 date by using Oct 14 as the day of your LMP but then didn't take into account that he doesn't think you ovulated two weeks after that, but four. Not that it matters I guess, when the baby comes it comes. I'd get it cleared up at some point though so he doesn't go trying to induce you since he has the dates wrong. If you are 7 weeks today then you aren't due til the first week of August, not July 21. SO I'm with you, he is off.

Congratulations though! I can't wait to see or hear my baby's heartbeat!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Oh you're so lucky to see the wee thing - I reckon I am 8 weeks the docs think 9, they won't listen to when I ovulated and will only take the LMP, I should have known better and told a wee white one, nevermind, I don't go for my scan until 12 January !!!!! It's far too long, I can't wait to see the babe, it just makes it all so much more believeable, however, as far as the m/s goes - it's believeable. I think I shall go home and see what the docs say across there - I think I tend to trust them more, they actually seem like human beings!!

Congratulations on seeing your 'bean', really envy you!! but reckon you should get the date thing sorted before they start digging their heels in! Am I just too hard on the docs?
love
rachel

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I made people confused. Here's how it goes:

I had a miscarriage 10/14. I haven't bled since.

I tested positive around 11/22 (the Sun before Thanksgiving).

SO, using 10/14 as the date of my LMP, that would mean ovulation around 10/28 and a due date of 7/21/05.

When I went to the doc yesterday, I was thinking I was around 6 weeks (using the above dates). But according to the ultrasound measurements, doc said 7 weeks +/- 2 days and gave me a due date of 7/30/05.

So my confusion is: if I'm actually a week farther along than I thought, shouldn't my due date be a week EARLIER, not later? Also, if I'm 7 weeks now, there's no way I ovulated 4 weeks after my mc, which would have been Nov. 11, because then I would be not quite 5 weeks and we wouldn't have seen the heartbeat.

SO, I'm going to edit my signature to say EDD late July! :LOL I do have another us at around 19 weeks, so we'll solidify it then. Sometime in March, I'll know. Whoa.

But yes, it was soooo great to see the bean and know it's really in there. And I dont' know if it's psychological or what, but my ms got WAY worse yesterday and I've actually moved into the gagging phase. Yay.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I too saw my baby for the first time yesterday! It was so exciting. I was so anxious and have not really posted over here yet, because I miscarried my first pregnancy in Sept. What a joy and relief to see that tiny little being with a heartbeat. I cried out of pure happiness for the first time in I can't remember how long.

Luckily, my little bean measured almost exactly right, 8 weeks, 1 day, only one day off from my dates. I am so happy that things are looking better this time!

Quote:
And I dont' know if it's psychological or what, but my ms got WAY worse yesterday and I've actually moved into the gagging phase. Yay.
ROFL, isn't it crazy to be excited about these things?!?!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It sounds to me like you are thinking about gestational age of the baby, while you doc is telling you number of weeks since your LMP or 2 weeks before conception plus gestational age. My "due date" is one day after your original one (July 22) and I am 8 weeks 5 days pregnant (the baby is only 6 weeks 5 days gestational age). So your doc moved your due date one week later (roughly) and and then added two weeks for the LMP method of dating (this is gestational age plus two weeks in your case, since your doc says you did not O exactly 2 weeks after you m/c, so he adjusted it), which had made you think you are one week farther along than you are. You are still one week earlier than you had thought going be the date of your m/c, but he just added those 2 weeks. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Congrats on seeing your baby!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always measure from the supposed date of conception, so when I say I'm 7 weeks, I mean the baby itself is 7 weeks.

The ultrasound actually says 7 weeks +/- 2 days, so I could be 6 weeks 5 days (which is very close to what I guessed and which would fall in line with counting my mc as the LMP), too. Which would make my due date JULY 21!!!

Hence, "Late July." :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

Besides, what does he know - he's a man.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The ultrasound probably also goes by LMP. I had an early us with my first baby and the "age" on the us pics was given in LMP. So if you are 7 weeks LMP +/- 2 days, July 30th would still be the better "due date". As you said, though, it doesn't really matter since the baby will get here when s/he's ready (As long as baby doesn't come too "early" relevant to your doc's due date, then there shouldn't be any problems).

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the date on the ultrasound was purely determined by the measurements of the fetus' size. Like it doesn't really matter what your LMP was because they measure the baby and tell you where you are? They did that with DS and adjusted my due date to a week later, based on his measurements. He was born one day after his original due date. So you can see why I'm skeptical.

Here's what I think: I ovulated/conceived somewhere between 10/28 and 11/2. That would make this baby due somewhere in the 3rd week of July. Since that would be week 39 according to the doc, it should be fine.

But you're right, Binah, it's going to come out when it's good and ready, so. . .

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Quote: I thought the date on the ultrasound was purely determined by the measurements of the fetus' size. Like it doesn't really matter what your LMP was because they measure the baby and tell you where you are?

They do, but the conversion they make is from measurements into "pregnancy weeks" , counted from LMP or 14 days pre-ovulation. Your "week of pregnancy" is always 2 weeks more than gestational weeks. I am not sure how it is done in other countries, but if you are in the US I can say with certainty that your doctor believes that your baby was conceived 5-5.5 weeks ago. Or about one week later than you believe/d.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So that's why the doc's due date was so much later than I expected.

I maintain: gestational age is about 6 1/2 weeks and this baby will be here by the 3rd week of July.

Go ahead kid, prove me wrong!! :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

(BTW, I realized that we found out the weekend of 11/14, which was a week earlier than I thought, so I thought I was 3 weeks gestational at that point. Could have been 2 I suppose. Who knows!)

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
They use LMP dates when they give you dates from an ultrasound. They aren't telling you how old the baby itself is, they are basically adding two weeks onto what they determine the age of the baby. Does that make sense? They are giving you the baby's age but it's age in the way that most doctors talk about age. 4 weeks being a 2 week old baby, 8 weeks being a 6 week old baby. They do measure the baby's size but they call it by it's LMP age. So what measures a 4 week old fetus they call it 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone else think the LMP age thing is just ridiculous? I mean, if you're paying attention, you're probably pretty sure when conception was and are counting from then. If you weren't paying attention or can't track for whatever reason, then the u/s should just tell you the baby's age!

However, again, I maintain the u/s dates are off. If the gestational age was really only 5 weeks on Monday, then I tested positive at 1 week post-conception. Since that was after about 10 days of sore breasts, I'm gonna say NO WAY.

I am going by my own dates. The baby was 7 weeks gestational yesterday and will be here by the 3rd week of July. Dammit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.