Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Oh boy- I never thought of it but we have a manual one too. I also have a opener for jars under my cabinets. Its this triaangle thing with a grip on it. If a jar is hard to open, I stick it there and turn- presto! I love my manual can opener and the fact that as said by a pp- I can wash it.

We also have a manual dishwasher that has yet to break down in 8 years of marriage- ME!

DH said if he ever loaded the dishwasher, it would mean getting his wife drunk.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraMama
I think they are dirty and gross and WHY do you really need one? It takes just a few seconds to use a manual one.

Can you also imagine the gross /germs/stuff left on the electric ones? Yuck!!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
We bought a Henckels can opener several years ago from Chef's catalog. Its a bit more than your average manual one but it stays sharp and is of good quality.

It was at one of their big sales which happen all the time.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts

I do love my food processer- We are on our second one. We buy whole blocks of mozzella cheese and shred them and freeze. So its ready whenever we need it. Also it does a great job on chopping!

I hand do my pizza dough unless we plan on grilled pizzas since the processor makes a tougher dough which is needed to grill pizzas.

I got a bread machine for my 21st birthday (many many years ago!) and went thru 2 of those as well. The second one sat in the pantry until my declutter and someone who works for dh wanted it. I just love hand kneading my own bread so no need for that gadget.

As far as the microwave- its not for cooking! Its for reheating etc. We used to only cook popcorn but now we do it right on the stove. It tastes so much better and I use organic corns.

We also never installed the ice maker. We have ice cube trays that work just fine. We have 3 stacked in the freezer and when one is empty, we put water in and stick it at the bottom.

Then only big time gadget is our coffee bean grinder. Its a very expensive gadget that we use every morning. Also our maker/pot was a hefty price but it should last 20 years or so. We also roast our own coffee so we are a bit of snobs for coffee- fair trade/organic blah blah blah. We have coffee every morning and iced lattes (soy for me) at least 4 times a week in the afternoons. If we went to a starbucks or something for our habit we estimate it would be about $1000 annually. But now its a little under $200 a year in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.