Mothering Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,052 Posts
A&A have you looked at left handed gadgets? There is a shop here in London which just sells left handed stuff. I found this one online in the US http://thelefthand.com/lecanop.html

We use a manual can opener and have several - we have double of quite a few things as we merged 2 households. Electric ones are not very common here. My aunt had one because she had motor neurone disease, then my nan had it when her parkinsons got worse. I have no idea where it is now.

· Registered
7,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chel
Anybody else out there that has no desire for an electric can opener? Dh family was recently here and freaked that I didn't have one. It was an odd way they said it like I was stupid, poor, and crazy. I use the one my grandfather had in the airforce.
:LOL
(a) I can never figure out how to use an electric can opener
(b) the little hand held one I have does a better job

I *do* have a nice hand-held one that's marketed for people with arthritic hands but I have never desired an electric one.

· Registered
6,264 Posts
We don't own most of the small appliances Americans in general find essential and never miss them. We only have a blender, a mixer, a toaster and a microwave oven. Electric can openers are things I have only seen on cartoons :LOL

· Registered
9,272 Posts
"At our house
we open cans.
We have to open
many cans.
And that is why
we have a Zans.

A Zans for cans
is very good.
Have you a Zans for cans?
You should."

~Dr.Seuss

We have a regular grocery store can opener that works just fine. But I went to a Pampered Chef party and got one of the smooth edge can openers, one for my mom and one for me. I love it! Not sure how necessary it is, since we really didn't have a problem with sharp edged cans before. But it's neat.

No cats, but the dog comes running when ever he hears a can opened. He also magically appears at my side whenever he hears me open the cheese bag. I keep a big block of cheese in a zip lock type bag and he now knows what that crinckling sound means...

I hope this can opener works better for my mom; she does have arthritis. I think it's a little easier to turn the handle compared to the old one. But not a whole lot.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
We had an electric one when I was growing up and I hated it. We now have just a manual one. DH brought an electric one home once that someone gave for free and I put it in the giveaway box :LOL (after I asked him why we needed extra clutter when we already have enough
: )

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.