Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Tara, and this is my second pregnancy, and first UC.

My son (now almost 6) was born in the hospital. I had worked with midwives who I thought were very hands-off and low intervention: turns out not so much. They convinced me to have an induction at 37 weeks (I take full fault for going along with it though). I made it to pushing with no drugs, but suddenly he turned and I was told I had to have an epi so they could push him out. I'm still very confused and upset by what happened, and hoping to avoid that again.

So...my husband and I decided this baby would be born at home. We wouldn't mind having a midwife here, but it's illegal in upstate NY, and it's not important enough for us to have one to put anyone else at risk. I have been working with midwives connected to a hospital for prenatal care (there are physical defects that occasional appear in my family - spina bifida and heart - that we wanted to be assured weren't a problem or be able to prepare for the best care after). They know my plans, and are 'okay' with it, if not entirely thrilled.
Anyhow, all is well with the baby and we're so excited to welcome our new one at home!

This baby (The Widget) is due early October, we think, although I have a feeling about the 13th: we'll see. We're planning on cloth-diapering, extended breastfeeding, delayed vaxing, homebirthing...all the good stuff! Our family thinks we're insane, as do most of our friends, but that's just fine with us! Our son has decided he wants to catch the baby, but we'll see how that goes!

Anyhow, I'm new to the forums here, and am so glad to find a great community like this! It's nice to have people of like minds to chat with, as opposed to everyone who says "omg how can you do that? what will you DO without a doctor?"

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
congrats on your pregnancy and welcome!! You're in good company here among the "insane"
:
As for what you'll do without a dr., well....whatever the heck you want!
Cant wait for "The Widget's" birth story

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
WELCOME to the board!

We are glad to have you here! And congratulations on your upcoming birth. October is not that far away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tracylhl:
Thanks!

Shell024:
Eh, I've always fit in best with the 'weirdos'
I keep telling people, "You know, if people hadn't figured out this whole birthing thing a while back, where would you be?" Evidently they think humans have evolved to require drugs and doctors. Hmph.

ErinBird:
Hi! I guess we're everywhere, huh?

Kidzaplenty:
No, Oct isn't that far away! I'm starting to get terribly nervous and excited all at the same time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinBird
zi recognize your username from over on LJ- I'm erinmdmd there!

Welcome to the forums!
I dint recognise her user name, but her name for the baby!

I was using the LJ preg comm but it's not for me. not to berate or judge anyone but they're as they're soooo uninformed about pregnancy in general, I was getting nothing out of it. I wouldnt say anything to them for not knowing but as it was all the same basic things over and over it just wasnt for me

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
I was using the LJ preg comm but it's not for me. not to berate or judge anyone but they're as they're soooo uninformed about pregnancy in general, I was getting nothing out of it.
I know what you mean. I'm pondering getting out of the pregnant community (particularly after I was berated last night for giving breastfeeding advice to a woman who was requesting advice) but there are some pretty good ones that I've learned a lot from, so I'll definitely stick some.

I didn't expect, with the general attitudes there, to see people I knew over there here. Very nifty!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princessenoire

I didn't expect, with the general attitudes there, to see people I knew over there here. Very nifty!
LOL that's why I was shocked to see you

but yeah, there are so many here that know all that I dont. so it's better for me. I need help I cant get from there
not that I mind helping others, but those girls are typically VERY mainstream and they ask questions as if their google is broken :$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.