Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So for the last month or so, my son (who has just turned three) frequently says to his reflection in the mirror or window, "You're a baby", over and over.  At first I thought it was just quirky, now I wonder if there is some meaning that I am missing.  He almost says it like another kid would say to another kid to tease.  I'm not really sure how to understand it.  I am sure some child psychologist would have lots of interpretations, but wondering if anyone had any ideas?  A few thoughts I've had is that I think he was once called this at his preschool by a bigger kid (a "baby", because he was crying, and I think he was sad and hurt.  Maybe it has happened again since.), and I also have a 9.5 month old girl, whom he has never shown aggression or jealousy to.  So I'm not really thinking it has anything to do with her, probably more to do with school or growing up or something.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks if anyone has any insight.  I'm more curious than anything.  But it kinda makes me sad to see, like he is acting out some hurt or something.</p>

·
Registered
101 Posts
<p>That does sound concerning.  Have you tried engaging him about it?  Like, "Is that a baby?"  "Why is that a baby?"  "Are YOU a baby?"  And see what kind of responses you get.</p>

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
<p>When I first read the thread title, it sounded like a taunt to me, like you described happening in preschool.  maybe you could inquire to his teacher?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But....it could be a role playing thing for him, wanting to be a baby.  preschool and being 3 years old are scary, dynamic times....maybe he sees how easy it is for your baby girl and is saying he wants to be a baby?  I know my DD had some baby tendencies that she liked to role play with in a silly way....I let her step into the shoes of being a baby once in awhile and I think it validated those feelings.  Sheesh, some days I wish I could take a break and be a baby too!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Let us know what comes of this....it's intriguing.  Hope your little guy isn't hurting :(</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts