Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in my DDC, but I wanted to ask here, too.

I am 5 months pregnant, and every now and then, my scar HURTS. Today, I stood up too fast while holding my ds, and the stabbing pain was awful. I keep worrying about my scar coming open, but the OB says it couldn't. Then why do they tell you it "might" during labor? I don't get that. The NP told me it might hurt sometimes during my pregnancy, but I was not prepared for this.

I have been having lots of round ligament pain lately, but this pain was right along the scar.

Did anyone else have this?

I am hoping for a VBAC, but yet I am so scared about rupture, even now. How am I ever going to do this if I don't have faith in the strength of my scar even in pregnancy??

I would love any feedback on this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post

I am 5 months pregnant, and every now and then, my scar HURTS. Today, I stood up too fast while holding my ds, and the stabbing pain was awful. I keep worrying about my scar coming open, but the OB says it couldn't. Then why do they tell you it "might" during labor? I don't get that. The NP told me it might hurt sometimes during my pregnancy, but I was not prepared for this.

I have been having lots of round ligament pain lately, but this pain was right along the scar.

Did anyone else have this?

I am hoping for a VBAC, but yet I am so scared about rupture, even now. How am I ever going to do this if I don't have faith in the strength of my scar even in pregnancy??

I had a lot of pain in my scar and abdomen after my first c/s. Between pregnancies it did not go away. It got worse during the next pregnancy. After the second c/s, it grew worse again. During the following pregnancy, it increased even more. I think it had to do with the stretching of adhesions. That third birth was vaginal, at home, and the pain ceased after that. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the next pregnancy proceeds. I've been free of scar pain for 6 years, and hope it stays that way.

During my UBAC I don't know for sure that I didn't rupture. Not all ruptures are catastrophic, most are small and heal on their own and don't need treatment, or so I've been told by a couple different Doctors and MWs. All I can know is that I didn't have a big one. My bleeding stopped at a reasonable rate. The recovery was wonderful.

Kiley

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am seven months pregnant and my last child was born by c/s 2 years ago. I have had scar pain off and on ever since my c/s. It started a few months postpartum during my periods and was very painful. (I actually had to take pain meds to get thru it) It had just started to not be very noticable, and then when I was about 4 months pregnant, I began having it again. (That's actually why I joined this forum because I wanted to know if others expierience this.) I also have had very uncomfortable round ligament pain with each of my pregnancies, but I can feel a differance between that and the pain that seems to be associated with my incision.

I also struggle with the fear of uterine rupture and I get nervous everytime I have this pain. I am trying to deal with this emotionally, because I don't beleive that this is a founded fear and I know that fear is not healthy. The risk of uterine rupture is very minimal, but the medical community does such a good job of scaring us. I am planning a VBAC also. Our bodies are pretty amazing and I really beleive that they can heal and we can deliver our babies!

Jen

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
There are two things you can do about scar pain that have been known to help some people--

One is, get yourself a jar of some high quality, vitamin E enriched healing ointment. Should be all natural, can be just a vit E cream or an herbal compound w/vit E added. Use it EVERY DAY, rub it gently, firmly and lovingly into your scar and surrounding area. It will be able to sink into your body, not just affect the skin. While applying it, be sure to think healing thoughts and send warm energy to your scar and uterus in general.

second thing is, at other times throughout any given day, put a hand (or both hands) on your scar and send warm healing loving energy. Breathe deep, send your breath all the way to your belly/scar and visualize ease, wholeness, elasticity, forgiveness, whatever is needed.

Yes, phyiscal level stuff like adhesions can make for pain--and you can help those physical issues with the above methods.

But also, emotional level stuff can make for pain as well. If you address that simply by sending your breath, love, and warm accepting energy to your womb and scar, you can help to heal the emotional level of that pain as well. In doing this, you may experience tears or anger or....let it move on out. Let yourself feel it and release it.

Uterine rupture does not necessarily happen right on the old incision site/scar. It can happen anywhere on the uterus, no one apparently knows just why this is. Could be because the scar tissue is harder and less elastic than the rest of the uterus--which means that since that area may not stretch as much as usual, other areas have to stretch more and thus get stretched beyond their holding point. But remember that rupture is pretty rare in healthy, well nourished women who are not induced or otherwise restricted or fiddled with in labor....so, this means that you can, right now, work to heal yourself on all levels for good results in labor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had on and off again pain in my scar since i have been pregnant (baby #4, had c/s with #1 and 2VBACs). Im due for my 20wk scan in a few days and my midwife said for me to ask them to have a look to see if anything is around that area (midwife said shes had clients with fluid bubbles which really hurt but are harmless), its only on one side of my scar. Also she said it could just be ligaments as i get most of my pain if i sneeze, cough or stand up too quickly.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post

I am 5 months pregnant, and every now and then, my scar HURTS....

Do you have a homeopath near you? Theoretically just about any remedy could be indicated but in each of the seven cases I've treated Staphysagria was needed remedy. It has an affinity for the sex organs, and sharp clean cuts like from a scalpel. I've treated many folks with the remedy who had didn't have breast, uterine, or testicular surgery but it is often indicated in those cases.

~BV

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
But also, emotional level stuff can make for pain as well.
This is very true. When I had my first c-section, I healed very well. I wasn't having any problems with scar pain, and didn't for a long time. When ds1 was...2, maybe?...I happened to catch "The Operation" on tv. It was a c-section and curiousity got the better of me. Within 2 minutes, my scar was one fire...painful and burning. I finally turned off the tv. By the next day, the pain was gone and didn't come back until my first miscarriage...when ds1 was 4.5....

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
BV--

I posted back on to this thread this morning to suggest homeopathics, as I'd completely forgotten about them until just a minute ago. But anyway, I completely agree--homeopathics can and do help dissolve with deep healing of scar tissue/adhesions.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
...But also, emotional level stuff can make for pain as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
This is very true. When I had my first c-section, I healed very well. I wasn't having any problems with scar pain, and didn't for a long time. When ds1 was...2, maybe?...I happened to catch "The Operation" on tv. It was a c-section and curiousity got the better of me. Within 2 minutes, my scar was one fire...painful and burning. I finally turned off the tv. By the next day, the pain was gone and didn't come back until my first miscarriage...when ds1 was 4.5....
I didn't want to go to deep into Staphysagria's description but it covers lots of suppressed anger and sexual violation as well. I've used it for the shakes after our 4mo cat was neutered. I've used it in a man who presented as "perfect" with a hx of childhood sexual abuse. His wife sought help after he was indignant from losing a job shook his confidence in his "everything is perfect" appearance to the world. I've used it in a man who had no history of sexual abuse but was raised by a Narcissistic mother.

BV, never reluctant to ramble about homeopathy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can see how you would be alarmed. Even if the doctor says it's nothing, it's hard not to worry about every little ache and pain during pregnancy. Does it hurt along your outer incision scar? I thought I read that the uterine scar is not typically in the exact location as the outter scar. This might help ease your mind a little

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.