Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm 33 weeks with my second child. I had severe pre-e with my last pregnancy, and I have been having high blood pressure problems since 26 weeks with this pregnancy. So I guess I am a bit more nervous than maybe some other women would be with this swelling.

I just want to know if this is considered normal. Last pregnancy, I had swelling in my feet and legs - which I have again this pregnancy. But yesterday I woke up and realized I had gained SIX pounds in just a few days and my swelling had increased. I still have pitting edema in my legs up to my knees, which I've had for almost a month now - although it is even more pronounced now. More concerning to me is the swelling in my hands. I didn't have this last time and I'm nervous this is a bad sign. My fingers are very swollen and the tops of my hands are pitting edema (when you press a finger in the swollen are, an indentation remains). I also feel as if my eyelids are puffy and swollen - which is odd and maybe not even related to the rest of the swelling.

Any experts on swelling here? Can you share your experiences? Should I be concerned? My blood pressure has actually been just fine today. I'm taking methydopa for my blood pressure, and at this point I think it is being well controlled with the meds.

Help!!! Is this no biggie? Do I need to call a doctor? I don't want a repeat of last pregnancy, but I don't want to invite unnecessary interventions and monitoring either.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
I would recommend letting your care provider know. Facial and upper extremity swelling is a concerning sign, but can often be a "normal" pregnancy symptom as well. The eyelid swelling would concern me the most. With your history, please don't take any chances. A doctor won't induce at 33 weeks for swelling, but if there are other things going on behind the scenes (proteinuria, falling platelets, hyperreflexia), it's better to get checked out than just hope it's nothing.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. I have an appointment already scheduled for Wednesday. In your opinion, is this a situation where I should call the doctor over the weekend, wait until Monday, or just wait until my appointment.

Since my bps are good, I'm trying not to worry too much. And with a young toddler at home going all the way to the hospital for a weekend check-up is logistically difficult...

Thanks again for sharing your take on it!!!

· Registered
1,580 Posts
As a pre-e survivor myself, I absolutely would go in. Minimal swelling of the hands can be normal, but rapid onset pitting edema would concern me, as would a gain for 6 lbs in just a few days. That is one of the red flags to look for. And any facial swelling, particularly of the eyes, would have me running for some monitoring and bloodwork.

Your BP meds actually can mask the progression of pre-e because they're artificially controlling your BP; the disease still is progressing but you're not seeing BP as a symptom because of the meds.

I know that you want to avoid intervention if necessary, but this is one of those "better safe than sorry" situations IMO. I absolutely would not wait until Monday. But that's me.

Good luck--I hope you get much more baking time for baby.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
As a pre-e survivor myself, I absolutely would go in. Minimal swelling of the hands can be normal, but rapid onset pitting edema would concern me, as would a gain for 6 lbs in just a few days. That is one of the red flags to look for. And any facial swelling, particularly of the eyes, would have me running for some monitoring and bloodwork.

Your BP meds actually can mask the progression of pre-e because they're artificially controlling your BP; the disease still is progressing but you're not seeing BP as a symptom because of the meds.

I know that you want to avoid intervention if necessary, but this is one of those "better safe than sorry" situations IMO. I absolutely would not wait until Monday. But that's me.

I agree.

As inconvenient as a hospital visit is (believe me, having made several with a 3yo at home, I know!), the inconvenience is far preferable to having a deteriorating situation while waiting over the weekend, if there are problems. The only way to know for sure is to be seen.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
yes, call your doc tonight, if you haven't already, and be prepared to go in to the hospital. Do you have a headache? Mention everything you mentioned here, including the rapid weight gain, the hands swelling, and the rapid onset pitting edema.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post

I agree with all...especially the bold!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.