Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a die hard native New Englander. I like the cold, the seasons. All my family and friends are here. To the point-my husband has been laid off, the company wants to relocate him to Tampa. We've tried to find work here for him and at the moment it's not happening. I have to consider all options as much as I don't want to. (Nice attitude eh? I've moved ALOT with this man for various jobs and I'm just plain tired.) We actually lived in the Englewood area down south of Tampa-DH worked on Boca Grande. I didn't like it too much. I'm one of those rare breeds that feels attacked by the sun.

So any advice for me? what areas to avoid. His actual venue would be in St. Pete-is that a better area to rent? Where should we look? I prefer safe I guess, maybe with some nice kid parks around. Not sure really. Is there a big AP community around? Co-ops? Anything?

Thanks mamas.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Storeimy! I moved from Rhode Island to the Tampa area 2 years ago.. It was a major culture shock. A little background on me, I'm in my mid 40s and have 2 grown children who still live up north.

When I first moved here I settled in Clearwater, nice area as long as it's not the city. St. Pete is nice, and if you read around here on this particular branch of the forum you'll find lots of info about St. Pete and where to look and where to stay away from. One piece of advice I can give you is that if your DH is going to be working in St. Pete, you want to avoid his having to commute over any of the bridges from the Tampa or north areas, the drive will not be fun, and whatever mapquest tells you, double it for regular travel hours.

Lots of great things to see and do here, I love that it's always- or almost, bright and sunny. Nothing like the weather up north, I don't miss the dreary grey days, although I do miss what I consider the 4 seasons.
The beaches are wonderful, the food is delicious, there's lots to see and do, and an entire state to explore.

After getting used to the major change in the heat, which I don't like- didn't like it in RI, hate it here, I have adjusted well now and wouldn't consider moving back up north.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just remembered something else that's important.

If they try to give him a lower salary because they say the cost of living is less... don't let them lie to you... The cost of living here is as bad as it is in CT/RI/MA... no better. Some things cost more, including gas and housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.