Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello runners/joggers

Ok so there are so many of you out there running and I really want to give it a try but I am really scared, and my DH is uncomfortable with it as well
I'm afraid I'll get hit by a car, or mugged or something
where do you all run? I dont know how I could do it without listening to music and I know that is a saftey issue
how and where do you do it?

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
starbound - running is such an awesome thing! Okay I run in neighborhoods, on the bike path and in a nature preserve. I wear headphones when I run by myself, but I only keep one earpiece in and take the other out and keep it low. I don't run at night, only mornings really.

What is your dh uncomfortable about? Could he ride his bike beside you while you run?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi babybugmama

DH wouldnt be able to ride beside me because he would be home with the toddlers while I ran in the morning,
we live in a very woodsy area without sidewalks and he is afraid I"ll get hit by a car or abducted! so then he freaks me out!

I wish there was someplace close by me to run like a track or gym but we are a very small town so the closest place would be like 45min from me and that is not worth it roundtrip kwim

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Hmmm...what about calling your police station and asking for crime statistics for the area? Would that help alleviate some anxiety? What about getting a jogger and pushing your toddlers while dh rode with you? I push dd almost every run...one or two runs a week I get by myself...

What about a treadmill? Would that be an option?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
calling the police station is an option
I do have a treadmill and am bored to death with it and would like to work towards doing marathons and know running on a treadmill is totally different from running outside
I'd really like to do the running without the kiddos since I'd be doing it at 5:30 or 6 am, I dont want them waking up any earlier than they already do

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
at that hour, I don't see any problem...I run in a town-ish area (suburb of a big city) and through a trail sometimes. I always carry my phone and try to stay aware...if I get a funny feeling, I'm outta there. They also sell Road-ID thingies that have all your info on them if you get sick or something.

is there anywhere you could drive to and run? a neighborhood or something?

Running is so worth it though! hope you find a way to get out there.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
if you're running before dawn, be sure to wear reflective clothing and consider lights. be aware of your surroundings -- if something creeps you out, turn the corner. if you're worried about something like mugging, carry a whistle and run in well-light areas.

maybe find a running buddy? look at seemommyrun.com or post on craigslist.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I was scared in the beginning too, especially because I was running early in the morning before the sun came up. Everyone has given some good suggestions about safety... the only thing I have to add is that as you do it you will probably start to feel more comfortable. You will get used to what you see in your surroundings and will be able to pick up on anything creepy.

There are also some personal alarm type things that are pretty small that you can wear on your clothing... pull a pin and it makes an obnoxious sound.

I run in neighborhoods, but I have also been known to run downtown and on 4 lane highways where the speed limit is 45. Oh, and I second the RoadID... I have the wrist one and there is no excuse not to strap it on when I'm heading out. Much easier than carrying other forms of ID.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
you've gotten a lot of great ideas so far!

i'd like to add that although the rules of the road say you should run against traffic, sometimes running in the same direction as traffic is actually safer if the cars can see you that way.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kate~mom
i'd like to add that although the rules of the road say you should run against traffic, sometimes running in the same direction as traffic is actually safer if the cars can see you that way.
: I have a pretty straight section of road where I run with the traffic because to run on the other side would give me absolutely no shoulder to dive into if I were sideswiped. I have even explained this to DH so that if I get hit by a car and can't speak for myself he can tell everybody that yes, I do know the rules of the road but my judgment in that spot is that it's safer to run with traffic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts