Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've had my diva cup for 3 or 4 months now, and it's been working well, although I had to trim the entire stem off. Then, last night, I went to take it out, and when I broke the suction, I pinched something inside the cup... something solid. IT WAS MY CERVIX!!! It was way lower than it's ever been before (i.e. near the opening of my vagina!), and it felt kind of swollen, but it didn't hurt. After resisting the urge to run screaming out of the bathroom yelling "Owweeeee,owweee, owweeee!", I noticed that it seemed to be receding, and a few minutes later was high and tight where it usually is. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something freakishly wrong with me? Thank Goddess my period is over for the month, because I can't look at my Diva right now.

--Deirdre

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Actually, this happened to my friend. She couldn't break the suction, so she just pulled... and her cervix pulled way down, to like an inch inside her vagina. Totally freaked her out, plus she was having stabbing pains, so we went to the local hospital emerg. She was okay, and over several hours her cervix returned to it's normal position. But yeah, really scary and painful.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
when AF is visiting, i tend to get really soft and loose inside. if i put my diva in whilst sitting on the toilet, my cervix is just barely right inside the opening. like if it was anymore barely just inside, it would be poking out. apparently, i am a freak of nature, b/c no one else i know irl can relate. so, usually, firmer and higher; w/AF, soft, spongy, and longer and lower (actually like while being pg).

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I was just reading a thread on another board about menstrual cups. Those who have tried the Diva, plus another type (either Mooncup or Keeper) said the Diva was substantially stiffer, and therefore not only trickier to fold and insert but also made a lot more suction.

So switching to a softer cup may help. What do I know, though, I haven't even ordered my Keeper yet

I also notice that before, and during the first half of, my period, my vaginal canal feels puffy, "loose" and engorged and my cervix is really low. I also can feel my uterus through the upper part of my vaginal canal, just before af arrives, I suppose because it is slightly enlarged with the menstrual lining.

I really don't think this kind of thing is anything to freak out about wholesale. Although it sounds really scary to have happen!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Oh my gosh I can't beleive what I'm reading. I've used the keeper & diva cup for the last 4 years ( except while I was pregnant or nursing so really less than that ). And I've never experience anything like this. Has anyone checked with their ob/gyn or midwife. Can there be long term effects? Like us women using a cup will be more likely to have a prolapsed uterus? I hope not. For me the suction breaks almost too easily, so maybe that's why I've been ok. I'd be interested to hear more on this topic!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Geez that would scare me too! I think I would talk with my Dr about it just to make sure everything is fine. I mean that could like bruise your cervix possibly or cause swelling that ovioulsy wouldn't be comfortable, or if it swelled up enough you may have some real problems getting it to come off (those would be my fears but who knows if any of them could happen).

I have been using my Mooncup for 2-3 years now and have never had anything at all like that happen (and I place my Mooncup up pretty high) so I assume this is really rare.

This is the first time I have had heard about anything like that happening before.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaha
Is the mooncup available in the us? When googled, all the sites are in uk ones.
I live in Oklahoma City and ordered mine from this site and it was at my house within a week (or 7-10 days, something like that). I think for the cup and shipping and everything it was $28 total.
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

HTH

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ladies, please do not stress. Let me clear up a few things first. One, when fertile and sometimes on your period your cervix drops down, it is natural and happens at least once a month. it drops down until it is almost at your opening in order to prepare to receive sperm. It is how are biological machine (our body) works so efficiently. The diva cup has tiny holes at diagonals drilled into the rim for air to go through to keep from too much suction, they need to be cleaned out every time you empty it. You can usually do this by bending the rim so the hole is at the bend and running warm or hot water over the hole until it is clean. At worst you can use a toothpick. Also when pinching it I would pinch from the bottom where the stem is or just above if you have cut of the stem. The cup sits around the cervix, any of the do, tampons push up against the cervix almost like a stopper. If you were to pinch from too high up you can definately pinch your cervix, and this can hurt, a lot. Pinching the crevix or having it banged hard during sex can also hurt a lot. This isn't however, the diva cup creating some radical problem, just your biology and technique clashing smetimes in a way that causes discomfort, which happens with many many things.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
ITA with bluerae here, very well said. Those vent holes are very important; mine seem to get stopped up too and I have carefully used the tip of a safety pin to get the last bit of gunk out under running hot water.

I have also broken suction by slipping a finger up beside the cup, on one side, and pressed in and down at the same time to avoid pinching.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleurae
Ladies, please do not stress. Let me clear up a few things first. One, when fertile and sometimes on your period your cervix drops down, it is natural and happens at least once a month. it drops down until it is almost at your opening in order to prepare to receive sperm. It is how are biological machine (our body) works so efficiently. The diva cup has tiny holes at diagonals drilled into the rim for air to go through to keep from too much suction, they need to be cleaned out every time you empty it. You can usually do this by bending the rim so the hole is at the bend and running warm or hot water over the hole until it is clean. At worst you can use a toothpick. Also when pinching it I would pinch from the bottom where the stem is or just above if you have cut of the stem. The cup sits around the cervix, any of the do, tampons push up against the cervix almost like a stopper. If you were to pinch from too high up you can definately pinch your cervix, and this can hurt, a lot. Pinching the crevix or having it banged hard during sex can also hurt a lot. This isn't however, the diva cup creating some radical problem, just your biology and technique clashing smetimes in a way that causes discomfort, which happens with many many things.
OK, this was NOWHERE near a normal cervix position. My cervix and I have an intimate relationship. I'm pretty familiar with its changes over the course of the month. It has never been anywhere near the opening of my vagina before.

You might be onto something with the pinching too high thing, though. When I felt something solid, I was more focused on finding out what it was than on breaking suction, so I may have pulled it down manually. It wasn't painful or uncomfortable in any way, just really big and really low.

OK, so with that in mind, I will try again with my Diva next month, with better technique. If this happens again, though, I'm done!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.