Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very allergic to lots of things. I started having reactions to different things when I was about 16. I'm 22 now.

Anyways, I was cutting up some fresh pineapple for a snack, becuase I'm trying to eat as many whole foods as I can for health reasons, and because I'm very allergic to sulfur dioxide, which is a pretty common preservative. I was taking the peel to the trash and some of the juice ran down my hand and arm.

Almost immediately my arm and hand got these big angry welts and the skin around them was very red. Also, I must have rubbed my eye with a hand that had juice on it because my eye was burning like nothing else.

I am so very relieved that I didn't put any of it in my mouth. I could have had an extreme reaction to it.

I took some oral benadryl, and put some cortizone cream on it, and got my epi-pen ready just in case. I searched allergies and pineapple online and found out that it has massive ammounts of....

Sulfur Dioxide in it.
Apparently it's a common cross allergy that the dr. didn't tell me about.

Anyways, does anyone know how to tell what fruits contain Sulfur Dioxide? I have extreme, throat closing reactions to it, and I'm kind of scared.

I'm so tired of having yet another thing that I can't use. I can't use any commercial shampoo, or even most "natural" shampoos. I can't use any body product in a liquid form, because they all contain sulfates. No house cleaners, no dried fruit that is preserved with sulfer, ect. ect.

I'll take any tips you have.

·
Registered
334 Posts
have you tried to "google" foods with sulfur dioxide?? Or maybe if you looked at books in the healh sectionyou can find out more...
I'm sorry you just this about about the pineapple... I just found out that I'm allergic to lobster and kiwis...bummer!!
:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Also, you may already know about this but I would get involved with FAAN (the food allergy network) to see what their information is...if you want to talk to some people who are incredibly well read on allergies that's the place to go.

good luck and I'm so sorry to hear about your allergies and I'm glad that you just had an arm reaction and not a throat closing!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the FAAN lead. It gives me somewhere to start searching.
Part of the problem with googling stuff, is that it gives you so much information it's hard to sort out the relevant stuff from all the other stuff. It helps to have a specific place to start. Thanks for the lead!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.