Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few gems from my health sciences program orientation the other night (at a state college)...

Snippets from the "ALLSTUDENTSMUSTBEFULLYVACCINATEDANDTHEREARENOEXCEPTIONSTOTHISRULE" part of the evening...

"If you went to public school, you had to have vaccines. Only homeschoolers can skip getting them."

FALSE.

"Anyone who has given birth in the last 5 years has had a pertussis booster. It is illegal to leave the hospital without one. You are prohibited from taking your baby home unless you get the shot."

MOSTLY UNTRUE, but if the last part is true I wouldn't surprised.

"There are no exemptions for students in this program."

PARTLY TRUE. There are no exemptions because there are no legal requirements. Except for Hep B and meningitis, and the law simply requires a shot or a signed waiver.

Then the program director went on to talk about why we all needed flu shots and a student spoke up and said she didn't want one because last year she got very ill from it and hasn't felt right since. The director and one instructor carried on and on about how ineffective the flu shot is and how many people have reactions. And in summary, you all need to get a flu shot or you can not join the program.

But the proof of vax isn't required to be turned in until 6 weeks after the first class, so it's ok to expose helpless babies until then, right?

I was vaxed as a kid, and will try my best to get my records from the county HD. The school graciously allows titres. But they say Tdap and flu are non-negotiable. I can't decide if I want to write up an exemption or make a statement by refusing to write one...since there is no law from which I actually need to be exempted...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hmm... doesn't sound like they are very understanding or that they know what they are talking about. Is this a nursing program or similar program? If so, some hospitals have requirements before allowing anyone in as a student (not sure how to get around this since I was fully vaccinated during my clinicals). It is one thing to challenge a school and another to challenge a hospital that you aren't working for... I wish you the best and will be interested in following up on your progress!
As far as the TDaP being illegal.. what? I'd love to know where they get this info from...

·
Registered
418 Posts
"Anyone who has given birth in the last 5 years has had a pertussis booster. It is illegal to leave the hospital without one. You are prohibited from taking your baby home unless you get the shot."
Bwahahahahaha! Parent who has given birth less than 5 years ago. Nope, no booster during pregnancy, none at the hospital, and no mention of not being allowed to take the baby home without one. I would have had quite a few unappropriate words directed at anyone who suggested such a thing, and fled AMA.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bwahahahahaha! Parent who has given birth less than 5 years ago. Nope, no booster during pregnancy, none at the hospital, and no mention of not being allowed to take the baby home without one. I would have had quite a few unappropriate words directed at anyone who suggested such a thing, and fled AMA.
Same here, I'm in Ohio. Six babies in 14 years, the most recent one two years ago, and I've never even been offered a vaccine in the hospital. Well, maybe the flu the last time around, but there was no objection to my refusal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts