Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I do the SCD without dairy, eggs and nuts? Is it possible?<br><br>
I have eliminated all dd's known allergens and her eczema is still severe. I have gut issues too that need to be addressed, and our diet of chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, vegetables, fruit and rice is not really helping us. I don't know what my allergens are but I think I have several.<br><br>
Anyway, is this possible? It feels kind of like my last hope.

·
Registered
120 Posts
of course. that's what i'm doing right now.<br><br>
nuts are an advanced food in any case; they are introduced mid to late in the diet even for people who have a chance of tolerating them.<br><br>
dairy-free is no problem, except to the extent that you cannot eat the yogurt. probiotics are very important, and if you are not consuming yogurt, it is probably worth your while to try to find some probiotic you and she can tolerate. (i am trying water-kefir, one tablespoon at a time...)<br><br>
i've found the idea of scd to be very helpful, but the actual explanations of its implementation have all been confusing -- especially in the book itself. the idea is to begin with only a few very easily digested foods and slowly build up your food repertoir one by one (or a few at a time) with scd-allowed foods, beginning with those that have a good chance of being tolerated by someone with a compromised gut. so you will be off legumes, nuts, raw foods, and so on for a while in any case.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
DD was on a nut-free, egg-free, dairy-free SCD for a long while (she's now tolerating several different nuts again so we've eased up a bit, though she's still egg and dairy free except occasional goat yogurt). Anyway it is possible but certainly not easy. DD was basically eating only plain meat patties and fresh fruits/veggies. You can probably make a number of types of soups also with those restrictions, but she has never cared for soups. I'd recommend using a calcium supplement also unless you can get in a <b>lot</b> of leafy greens.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thank you . . .<br><br>
So, what can we eat for breakfast? Right now we are doing puffed millet and rice milk, hot quinoa or rice, and I know we need to stop these things. For lunch and dinner we are doing meat and veggies, snacks are fruit and rice cakes.<br><br>
It just seems like dd is reacting to everything, even things she supposedly isn't sensitive to. Every time her skin starts to calm down, she flares up again. It is so frustrating. I guess I ought to buy the book and try the SCD for real.<br><br>
Does anyone know if it is helpful for eczema/food intolerance, or am I just having another bout of wishful thinking that I can 'cure' my dd? I so want to help her.<br><br>
Oh, and we are already on probiotic capsules (they don't seem to be doing much), CLO, EPO, and our enzymes are in the mail.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i was on the fence about scd for a long time. i tried to avoid most things that weren't allowed, but i was still eating yams and potatoes, and even rice, and eating out. cutting out rice made a big difference; going at it whole-heartedly made a huge difference. when i did scd wholesale, suddenly i could see when i had made a mistake, because there were so many fewer things that were irritating my gut that when i had <i>one</i>, it became obvious. for example, i had antacids (with sucrose) one day, and two days later bloody diarrhea. if i don't make mistakes, my bowel movements settle down to something resembling not-ill. i guess what i'm saying here is that it may well be worth it to just take the plunge for a few months and see what happens, what you observe.<br><br>
regarding breakfast, it's just a matter of revising what you think of as breakfast. there are traditional "breakfast foods", and i think the first inclination when you cut out one of them (like eggs or cereal) is to find some substitute that's not too different. if you just think of breakfast as a meal like the others, you can have anything. have some leftovers or cold chicken or sardines with half a banana. (ok, i confess, sardines and banana was my breakfast today. my memory is only good for about 24 hours.) it's a transition to learn to eat that way, but that's where you're going in the diet you're considering.<br><br>
regarding food intolerances, these can be a product of a leaky gut, and in that sense healing the gut will help. but there is no straight answer here. the way to know is to give it an honest try and see what happens.<br><br>
regarding probiotics: it is nontrivial to recolonize a compromised colon. a probiotic by itself may not be sufficient; short time scales my not be sufficient; particular species or strains may not do the trick. recolonizing is <i>very</i> difficult. this is what i didn't realize when i tried probiotics the first three or four times -- you may not see results, and you may even see negative reactions. it's up to you whether to stick with probiotic supplementation. it may be more helpful to wait until you've been on the diet for a while. just make sure that whatever you take doesn't have fos in it.<br><br>
finally, check out the "healing the gut" tribe here. the "cheat sheet" sticky has a lot of resources. the "traditional foods" subforum may give you some meal ideas (though you'll also find a lot of recipes you can't have). finally, check out some scd resources such as <a href="http://breakingtheviciouscycle.info" target="_blank">breakingtheviciouscycle.info</a> and <a href="http://scdiet.org" target="_blank">scdiet.org</a>. <a href="http://pecanbread.com" target="_blank">pecanbread.com</a> is particularly helpful, especially for people with kids. i'd say these resources (especially pecanbread) are even more helpful than the book, actually -- pecanbread really talks about the <i>process</i> of it, from the starter diet through food introduction. the book mentions the process, but i found it confusing on that subject.<br><br>
anyway, good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts