Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a long way to go (just shy of 14 weeks) but I'm curious to find out something. I have to have a repeat c-section and can therefore choose the date. Since unless there are baby/mother safety issues, obviously the womb is the safest place for the baby. Therefore, I want to choose a date as close to my natural due date as possible. BUT, what would happen if I pick a date say in the 39th week, and I go into labor naturally before then? Would they let me labor or would it then be an emergency c-section or something else? Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
It depends on why you needed the repeat C-sec....if it was an elective C-secs and you wanted to labor, they may let you. However, I know people who scheduled repeat C-sec and went into labor beforehand. All they had to do was tell the staff that they had a c-section scheduled for a particular date, and the staff prepped them for the c-sec upon admittance, without the moms having to labor. I guess it would depend on your preferences and why you needed a c-sec though...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I am having a repeat csec with this babe. My OB will not schedule a csec before 39 weeks, and if I want she's fine with me scheduling it for 40 or even waiting until labor starts. If I wait until labor starts or it starts before I have it scheduled, I'll just be prepped for surgery when I arrive at the hospital. It won't be an emergency unless I wait way too long. I guess, it depends on why you're having a repeat.

·
Registered
426 Posts
On the policy of your hospital (some don't allow VBAC if they do not feel they are equipped to handle emergency like a uterine rupture fast enough), some doc's have their own policy and of course it depends on why you had the c-section to begin with. If they baby was breech then you might have been able to deliver vaginally if he/she had been head down - but if the baby was too big to fit through your pelvis (mine was) then you are more likely to get the scheduled c-section.
\
Good luck to you. I hope you get the delivery you want!

Babydoll

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
In my experience, they stopped my contractions once I arrived at the hospital (i labored for 4 hours at home), then called my doctor and i had a normal - no rush - csection.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know of at least one doctor who never "scheduled" a c-sec, only "planned" them when necessary. Labor is so beneficial to the baby, and estimating its "due date" such an unreliable process. This doctor decided it was best to be sure the baby was ready by letting labor start, and allowing it to receive the benefits of labor (stimulates/"preps" the immune system and respiratory system, among others.)

If I HAD to have a c-sec, and I couldn't find an OB who'd agree to let labor start on its own and then perform surgery, I'd schedule it as late as possible and "plan" to go into labor. Then the hospital would just do as these other posters said and admit you right away for a section. The benefits of labor are too much to miss, if you can manage to get them.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
For me, the date of my pregnancies is very well known. But, I totally agree with waiting until labor begins if healthy (every situation is different), because a lot of people have misdated pregnancies. I would hate to see a baby born prematurely, when it could have been prevented. Although, I think it probably happens fairly often.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the updates. Does anyone know where I can find information on the benefits of labor starting before c/s? I'd like to discuss it with my doc, but would like to know a bit of what I am talking about when I do it.

Thanks for your help (again).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.