Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
We don't follow a schedule, but we DO have a routine. At the beginning of the year I was feeling like we didn't cover everything I wanted to get done, so I made a list of all the subjects I wanted to cover each week and divided them up by the day. For instance on Mondays we do Dictation/Copywork, followed by Spelling/Phonics, Math, Writing/Grammar, History, and then Music. Tuesdays we start with Latin, then Spelling/Phonics, Math, Writing/Grammar, History, and Science, etc. We take breaks in between subjects, run out and do errands, etc, but I don't schedule a set amount of time or a particular time of day to do these subjects, I just know we will do them in that order. This has helped me tremendously, because now I know I'm not missing anything and our days have a predictable structure.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I agree- no strict schedule, just a general routine.

We have a nice, relaxed routine hanging on our wall. It has the day split up into large blocks of time (two hours) and then what we want to get done in those two hours. Our first one is from 8-10a.m. and it has get up and get ready, eat breakfast, and morning worship time.

It gives a nice rhythm to our days. Of course there are some days when we can't even begin to follow it, bacause of a park day or appointments or whatever. Or just a day off when I really need to get something big done!

I still think my DC learn way more on their own. Like yesterday during quiet time, my DS came in here and showed me how he had copied the whole alphabet in order from his wooden puzzle, all on his own. He was happy and learning, and it was all his idea. No routine needed.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Faith I really like the way you do. even if one chunck of time gets taken up by an appointment or park day or somehting you can pick right up on the next chunk of time.

we try to shoot for 2-3 subjects a day. we are really focusing on math right now which we do in blocks rather than all the time. on our off from math times we work on memorizing the facts and skip counting. patterns are so hard for her and her cirriculum is sort of screwy in such a way that this is the best way we have found to work with it. Other wise we try to give a nod towards reading, at least one area of language arts, handwriting (which is a good wram up for her because hse can get out her book and do the next page without much instruction while I shoo the little ones upstairs.), spanish, science or history. often several subjects intermix but we just count it as one. she spends15-20 minutes on each subject usually. and hour is all I can really hope for.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I was hesitant to answer since my kids are so young, but I see yours are too

We hae a daily rountine. I've found that at our house, the day gets off to a much better start when we 'do school' first thing in the morning. When the day starts productively, I don't need to fight with kids later about finishing things up.

We're doing Sonlight preschool, and I pretty much follow their schedule (which subjects to do on which days) We're also doing Singapore math, which we do when DS requests. Some days we don't do any formal schoolwork (if, for example, I have a LLL meeting that morning). But we always spend lots of time reading, so it's not a big deal. On playgroup days, we finish school before we leave to play with friends. Since we 'do school' first thing in the morning, we're often done by 9 am, leaving PLENTY of time for playing, reading, hanging around, etc (the things that little kids SHOULD be doing during the day!).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atypicalandrea
We have a daily routine, which works for us, and we can temproarly dump if we want. I find we're not a household that works well on a timetable.

us either. We try to do the time block thing, our morning is 9-12 OM 1st grade, then we all make luch together then the afternoon is supposed to be chores, though Im the only one who does them I think. We go 4 days a week. And we ditch all the time. we're fine with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.